Author Topic: Getting our chucks to perch  (Read 1844 times)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
Getting our chucks to perch
« on: August 30, 2010, 21:16:21 »
The first night was no problem. I went out at dusk and literally placed them on. Tonight it worked with the first one, but the other 4 were not keen. Yesterday their feet just seemed to grip when I held them above the perch. Tonight their feet didn't grip. Do they have to actually be asleep to do this? They were settled tonight, but don't think they were asleep. Obviously I don't want them sleeping in their poop, but I have left 3 on the floor of the hut tonight. Our perch is about 10-12inches off the floor of the hut. Should we put a ladder so they can climb up it. I am a bit concerned they won't jump onto the perch because the hut is only about 3ft high so not that much room above the perch and thought that might put them off?

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Getting our chucks to perch
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 21:50:14 »
We were told they must perch as it'd bad for their legs & chests not to. I don't know if that is typical of our breed, Plymouth Rock. Is it a home made perch & if so is it the right size for them to grip. The perch should be higher than the nest box, most manufactured coops inc ours aren't made that way. OH was concerned because each night we would block the nest boxes off & they were wriggling to get between the pots we had put in. The evidence was there next morning. he searched the net & decided that it was the fact they would be laying eggs in poop that would be the problem so it's removed each morning. The hemcore is very absorbant so it's easy to get rid of it. Whether he is right or not is a different matter. 

beanie3

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 19:05:52 »
i have never had too much problem - okay i did have to put all chickens (late at night) on the perch for a week before they got the hang of it.  Although some of mine choose not to get on the perch - so i will just leave them to do what they want.  The legs/feet seem okay so never had many problems.  I would suggest keep persisting and see what happens.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 19:26:10 »
How wide are your perches?..and what sort of shape?..have they got plenty of room for each bird?

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 19:28:07 »
The perch is just over 1 inch square with rounded edges on the top 2 sides. I was goign to get a bigger perch, but the chucks are small (only 15 weeks at the moment). They didn't seem to have a problem the first night. I will try again tonight :) There is definately enough room for the chucks, but I realise it should be a bit bigger :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 19:39:07 »
..your perch could be wider..they will feel wobbly if they cannot balance better..
mine are 2" wide and rounded from the edges, so their toes can curl/grip on.
I've used same size perch no matter what age the bird.
Outside I have day perches wich are even wider..they are actual tree branches and they seem to like them even more than the indoor ones.
So next time I'm refurbishing their shed I'm going to get more of tree braches..only best is good enough for my girls.. ;) ;D

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 20:03:50 »
First night mine didnt perch and i think it was becuase it was to high to reach, ive now got a junior perch at around 4 inches of the ground and a brick so that they dont have to leap to get on them. This solved the problem.

good luck with yours, chickens! who knew theyd be so stressful!!

be worth it in the end
x sunloving

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal