Author Topic: Long Distance footpaths  (Read 1950 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Long Distance footpaths
« on: August 09, 2010, 21:00:55 »
OH and I spent yesterday and today walking the first two sections of the Yorkshire Wolds Way, from Hessle near Hull to market Weighton- about 25 miles in total. Had lovely weather for it but realised how out of condition we are- legs are aching now! We plan to do the whole thing eventually (only 79 miles in total, finishing in Filey) and I wondered if anyone else here has completed a long distance path, or National trail as they seem to be called now.

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
Re: Long Distance footpaths
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 21:23:18 »
Well done you  :D I am not surprised you are aching after 25 miles

I did the Pennine Way in 2000 in 18 days... no way could I do it now tho...  ::)

mat

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 21:47:39 »
No, not me.  But you might like to read 500 mile Walkies, it's a novel about a walk round the south west coastal path, and Boogie up the River's good too.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 22:13:42 »
I did the Lyke Wake about 40 years ago with a gang of nurses and Dr's from work, it nearly killed me but I made it ..we started in the middle of the night and got to Ravenscar just as the light was going again.I got my coffin card but didn't get to work for a few days.

I had no idea it would be as bad as it was despite what I had heard.

Now I barely walk.. oh the memories of what used to be.

Well done Carol and good luck for the next bit.

I wonder if the Lyke Wake is still going?

I also did a Withernsea to Hull Old Town for a charity event.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 16:55:50 »
I used to be a really keen walker - hardly thought it was worth going out for less than 12-15 miles a day. Most I ever did in one day was 27 miles on the Monks Trod, in mid Wales, was very proud of myself that day. How things have changed now its only about 5-6 miles and sometimes can't manage that. :(
Currently I'm doing the Norfolk Coast Path in sections. Really easy to do as a coasthopper bus serves the route, and there are some really lovely places along the way.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 16:59:42 by plot51A »

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 17:48:14 »
That sounds nice. I've always thought I'd love to do the Pembrokeshire Coastal path but it's rather a long way away to do in daily stages!

Shirley

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 18:29:37 »
A group of us are attempting to walk the Southern Upland Way - Portpatrick in the west to Cockburnspath in the east - 212 miles.  We will be spreading this over 3 years I hasten to add! We have already done 23 miles and will be attempting the same again next month.  Most of the area is very remote, so are having to arrange mini buses, car shuttle, etc.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 20:33:30 »
Yes, the transport is a problem when you do it in bits. We got our daughter to drop us at the start on Sunday, stayed in a pub on Sunday night and got buses back after the walk on Monday. You should have seen us staggering up the road from the bus stop to our house! ::)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 20:35:22 by caroline7758 »

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 20:59:56 »
Ooh, I always wanted to do the Southern Upland way, but some sections were just too difficult to organise...

I am envious  ;D

mat

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 21:09:47 »
Have done a few walking holidays, ie long distance footpaths, with Holiday Fellowship.  They organise transport, and you get leaders, good food and packed lunches.  Lovely to see the coach waiting at the end of a days walking.  Quite expensive but worth it if you are not too good at map reading.  Think my favourite was the Lycian Way in Turkey.  First one I did was the Dales Way and stayed in one of HF houses, and no I don't work for them, but think they are good.  Also the Ramblers Holidays are good, but personally prefer Holiday Fellowship.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 21:31:14 »
I have taken up walking in the last few months but but 10 is the most so far(and that was today). I am going on a ramblers weekend and a HF holiday next year with another group. members from both groups did the cotswold way in stages this year so I hope to do that if they ever do it again.
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 02:21:46 »
Our son and wife got together with another couple  and each drove to opposite sides of the Grand Canyon.
They climbed down the canyon and up the opposite side and drove home in the other's car. Worked like a charm.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 13:56:19 »
There are lots of excellent walks in the UK: last year we walked some of Hadrian's Wall :-)  The kids loved it, and it's a magical place. I pity the poor soldiers that were posted along there 2000 years ago! It must have been a long way to the first decent pub!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

bridbod

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 00:16:17 »
I've done quite a few long distance trails, starting with the Cleveland Way (many years ago), the Dales Way(very pleasant), Wainwright's Coast to Coast, the South West Peninsular Coast Path, bits of the Lycean Way (Aegean coast, Turkey), the GR 20 on Corsica (really tough going but rewarding) and are currently tackling the GR 10 through the Pyrenees.

Ashamed to say I haven't walked the Wolds Way in its entirety although its my nearest trail (maybe one day!!)
Good luck

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 02:29:59 »
I've done quite a few long distance trails, starting with the Cleveland Way (many years ago), the Dales Way(very pleasant), Wainwright's Coast to Coast, the South West Peninsular Coast Path, bits of the Lycean Way (Aegean coast, Turkey), the GR 20 on Corsica (really tough going but rewarding) and are currently tackling the GR 10 through the Pyrenees.

Ashamed to say I haven't walked the Wolds Way in its entirety although its my nearest trail (maybe one day!!)
Good luck
My oh my! I suddenly feel like a couch potato!
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 16:31:46 »
Winter walking in the Dolomites last year.  Lunch was good in the chalet.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 20:18:36 »
A few of us from work did the Yorkshire three peaks in June, 25 miles in less than(i did it in 10 hours 40) 12 hours, in training now for the national 3 peaks.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 20:41:05 »
We and another couple walk a path every year. Not all of it in one go though. The Essex way, the Ridgeway, South Downs, Thames path, North Downs way and the Peddars Way and Norfolk Coastal Path all fabulous. We used to walk up to 20 miles a day, but now we're all pensioners we average 12 miles a day.We travel very light as we stay in B&Bs, leaving one car at the begining and one at where we'll finish. We've had the best of times at these B&Bs, meeting some most unusual people!! All set to start the High Weald trail shortly, from Horsham to Rye. Should be a good one, can't wait. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal