Author Topic: Open day Perry Barr  (Read 2316 times)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
Open day Perry Barr
« on: August 13, 2010, 08:25:05 »
Betty   If you are not too busy could you post up some details?
                                Opening times.

Site address with post code I coming from Bournville area.

Parking advice  I have a blue badge.

Can I reserve some paper bags?   T/A.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
Re: Open day Perry Barr
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 14:38:44 »
Bump.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 15:17:00 »
Hi,

We open at 12 and it goes on till 3, or depending on when everyone has gone. :)

If you are coming from the city, the easiest way is on the A34 Walsall Road.  Once you have passed the One Stop shopping centre at Perry Barr on your left (you will be on a flyover) look out for the Tennis Court pub on your right and we are the next turning right into Church Rd.  Turn left after a few yards into Perry Park and we are just on the left.  There are lots of signs up so you should find it.

There is limited Blue Badge parking on the allotments.  If we run out of space, there is parking just opposite our gates in the park.

Our postcode is B42 2LR

I've asked the person who brings the bags if we can have some but I'm not sure when she will bring them.  If we get them, I will save you some.

I'm just hoping we don't have too much rain.  We have plenty of gazebos, and the pavilion and outdoor area so hopefully we will be alright.  But a bit of dry weather would be nice!

See you tomorrow,

Betty
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 17:01:04 »
Thanks for the directions.  Hope to see you tomorrow with good weather.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 16:16:08 »
Went to Walsall Roads Spring Fayre this afternoon. We enjoyed it in spite of the rain. There was plenty of cover when needed.We had two lots of tea and cake and came away with a lovely gingerbread cake ( made with Bettys own fair hands) another cuddly toy, a handbag off the Cats protection League stall. A jar of honey from the beekeepers, a couple of miniature pictures and a key ring for the lottie keys.We met some of the folks from here........Taurus, Digeroo, Lottie Lou and the lady with the twins and of course Saddad and Alison and last but not least Betty, I hope I havent forgotten anyone :-\
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 16:18:30 »
Sounds like a lovely day Shirlton - and that's just the tea and cake  ;)  :)

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 16:27:16 »
Photos, anyone?

We'd have loved to have come, but couldn't face the drive up the M40 - just as well, cos it's been falling down all day here!

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 20:29:13 »
The weather was horrible, but the company was lovely!  It was so nice to meet Digeroo, Taurus, LottieLou and Growing4Twins, and to meet up again with Shirl and Tone and Mr and Mrs Saddad.  I apologise to all of them if I didn't spend as much time with them as I would have liked but things were a bit hectic at times.  I even had an Asian tv film crew trying to interview me at one stage but I took them to someone more willing to appear on tv than I am. ;)

We made over £1,000 but more money will come in during the next few days.  It's down on last year but better than we expected with the awful weather.

It was fortunate that we had borrowed a large Scout tent because we definitely needed somewhere to shelter.  When I think of all the days we would have loved some rain and then we get a downpour on the one day we don't want it!

I got home at about 4.30, totally shattered.  I'd been there since 7.15 this morning and had a nasty fall as soon as I arrived.  More bruises to add to my collection.

I've got a couple of nice pics of Taurus by my fig tree and of the lovely (well-behaved) twins but I won't put them here without asking first.  (or I could email them to Mrs Twins and Taurus)

Here are some general pics of the day....

before we opened..
[attachment=1]
[attachment=2]
[attachment=3]

the public comes in
[attachment=4]
[attachment=5]

inside the pavilion for refreshments
[attachment=6]
[attachment=7]

and afterwards, luckily most of the customers had gone by then
[attachment=8]
[attachment=9]
[attachment=10]
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 20:52:27 »
It was really lovely to meet some people.  Had a lovely day.  Found looking at some real allotments really fascinating.  A big thank you to the plot holders for letting me have a look and especially for those that were there to talk to me. 

I was amazed at just how much bio matter there was around the site.  Follks there do not just have compost heaps they have mountains of the stuff.  Not to mention horse, straw, sawdust, grass clippings.  Ther result seems to be that the plants there are not just growing but are bursting out all over the place.  There are loads of flowers too so it looks amazing.  I am going to have more flowers. 

However, I shall no longer feel guilty about my weeds because many of the plots have a lot more than mine.  I also feel very smug because I have had a blitz on most of my fat hen ;D 

Saw most of the scarecrows  - brilliant, feel totally inspired to give it a go. 

Great day thank to all.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 21:11:32 »
I dropped in after the rain... saw Shirlton, Betty, Digeroo, digging4 and Lottie lou. Did you make it Tomatoada?  :)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 16:49:08 »
Definity a good day despite the rain.  Amazing amounts on the motorway on the way home.  But very little here.

There are posts about this on several threads

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,61186.msg636747/topicseen.html#new

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,62275.msg636738/topicseen.html#new

« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 16:52:00 by Digeroo »

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 08:24:53 »
I keep forgetting to ask -
Did you come to it Tomatoada? 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham