Author Topic: Propagator for Wife's b'day Suggestions Please  (Read 3337 times)

paganskins

• Not So New ...
Propagator for Wife's b'day Suggestions Please
« on: September 01, 2010, 09:01:03 »
Hi,
My wife would like a propagator for her birthday at the end of the month and being a complete gardening numpty I could do with some recommendations please  :)
Budget would be £50-70.
She has a polytunnel so I assume this would be to start plants off in the house before moving them out into the tunnel, mainly edibles/veg but possibly also some bedding and ornamentals too.
I'd guess a medium sized one would be best, not too small to be cramped but not so big it takes over whichever room of the house it'll be in.
Mail order is fine or on the off chance there's somewhere good to buy from nearby I'm in Swansea.
Thanks in advance.

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
Re: Propagator for Wife's b'day Suggestions Please
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 09:09:19 »
i have 2 of these (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garland-Super-Windowsill-Seed-Propagator/dp/B000YA43HC) that i use in the conservatory, their not very large but having 14 of them they get me started before i start on the large under soil heated propagator in the green house.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

paganskins

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 09:15:30 »
i have 2 of these (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garland-Super-Windowsill-Seed-Propagator/dp/B000YA43HC) that i use in the conservatory, their not very large but having 14 of them they get me started before i start on the large under soil heated propagator in the green house.

That looks like an option, 3 would fit nicely round the front bay's windowsill.

Are the larger ones with a large lid you can put any pots (size permitting) a better bet?

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 09:28:52 »
the super 7 is more for getting the seeds germinated rather than bring them on, i have a 6ft x 2ft aluminium propagator with undersoil heating cable, that i keep in the greenhouse for cuttings and bring the plants on.
why not get   1 super 7 and 2 of the larger ones.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

paganskins

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 09:33:57 »
the super 7 is more for getting the seeds germinated rather than bring them on, i have a 6ft x 2ft aluminium propagator with undersoil heating cable, that i keep in the greenhouse for cuttings and bring the plants on.
why not get   1 super 7 and 2 of the larger ones.

So a super 7 plus a big 3 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garland-Big-Thermostatic-Electric-Propagator/dp/B000YB4NXU/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1283329926&sr=1-1 or a triple top http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garland-Triple-Top-Electric-Propagator/dp/B0010YVK0E/ref=sr_1_6?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1283330012&sr=1-6?

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 18:54:57 »
Things like the `super 7` are great for raising seeds ,but for  bringing on plants you would want something a little larger.

And remember-even when empty they should be big enough for a cat.

I took this about 10 minutes ago-it`s Cleo ;D

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 20:06:21 »
Lovely cat Cleo.

paganskins

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 09:55:31 »
Things like the `super 7` are great for raising seeds ,but for  bringing on plants you would want something a little larger.

And remember-even when empty they should be big enough for a cat.

I took this about 10 minutes ago-it`s Cleo ;D

I hadn't considered the cat, ours is a bit of a brute so I'd better get a robust propagator  ;D

So I'm leaning toward a single super 7 for small stuff or small quantities of more unusual seedlings and then for the bulk something like this http://www.greenhousewarehouse.com/products/prop-paras-botanic-parasene-botanic-adjustable-propagator.html?source=googleps.

I'm assuming a thermostat would be a bonus especially if it's going to be in her tunnel, the super 7 would be for use inside the house only I'd expect.

Stevens706

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 11:55:33 »
I also have a Super 7 and it is great for starting off small quantities of Toms, pepers and chillis you can get 6 - 8 seedlings in each mini propagator. I would highly recommend it.

paganskins

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 12:02:10 »
I also have a Super 7 and it is great for starting off small quantities of Toms, pepers and chillis you can get 6 - 8 seedlings in each mini propagator. I would highly recommend it.

Seems to be a lot of love for the super 7s, I'll definitely put that on the list.

So what would you all prefer/would be most useful a super 7 and a larger propagator as linked to above or 3 super 7s?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 12:54:05 »
Perhaps your OH has her eye on one perhaps you need to do some subtle questioning.

paganskins

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 13:14:30 »
Perhaps your OH has her eye on one perhaps you need to do some subtle questioning.

Quite probably, it's not a surprise so I shall ask.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal