Author Topic: Which Early Potato had the best flavour?  (Read 15558 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Which Early Potato had the best flavour?
« on: August 11, 2010, 16:28:21 »
At last I have found an Early which I like.  Its Sharpes Express.  Good flavour, good jacketted in the microwave.  Great crop in very dry year.  I grew nine different early potatoes (only 5 of each) and it is a clear winner. 

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
Re: Which Early Potato had the best flavour?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 17:06:57 »
my Lady Christl and Wilja have been lovely but I can't see past Ayrshire Epicure.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 17:16:54 »
Altesse for me - top points in every aspect

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 17:54:55 »
Very disappointed myself by lady christl.  Little taste and poor crop.  Though I may try it again on lottie since soil is very different from garden.

I hope to try another 9 next year.  I had never realised there were so many different varieties.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 18:11:09 »
I tried Lady Crystl and Red Duke of York this year, and was also equally disappointed by Lady C on flavour, the Red Duke of York won hands down. What you say about soil type is pertinent Digeroo, I'm sure it has a big impact on how spuds taste. I'll make a note of Sharpes Express for next year and give it a try.

1066  :)

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 18:27:00 »
Digeroo, you`ll find that your Sharpes Express make wonderful chips, and I rate them as better than even Maris Piper for this.  Just cook them twice, once at low temperature until they`re soft, take them out of the pan and drain them until they`re quite cold, and then cook again at high temperature for a few minutes and they`ll finish up crisp on the outsides and soft and fluffy inside.  I`ve been growing them on and off since 1948,  Their only drawback is that they`re a comparatively poor cropper.

hedgeman

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 19:26:58 »
I grew Sharps Express last year and they looked good but when cooking them they just fell to bits!!

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 19:33:29 »
interesting that your Lady Christl were tasteless. The ones I had were great, so the soil must make a difference. I've got very dense clay loam. Planted them with manure and bonemeal.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 20:05:09 »
The best were Aaran Pilot and Maris Peer.  Used to grow Accent, but you can't get them any more - Accord are apparently are a 'sister' potato which I tried, but they are not as good.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 20:53:17 »
Oh how I'm hating this!! I love spuds of all kinds, but this year I grew Charlottes, Anya and another which I can't remember the name of. All have looked good and produced well.Much better than the last 3 years. I've had no sense of taste for 4 months now,so I don't know if they taste of anything at all. :'( :'( Might as well eat mice droppings. :(
Smile, it confuses people.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 08:01:00 »
interesting that your Lady Christl were tasteless. The ones I had were great, so the soil must make a difference. I've got very dense clay loam. Planted them with manure and bonemeal.

Mine are on heavy clay, which had been manured the previous year. And got mulched with anything I could lay my hands on! I really do think regional differences in soil etc make a big difference to how spuds taste

And Emaggie - poor you!!

1066  :)

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 08:20:54 »
This year at Ryton’s Potato Day we purchased four of about 20 different potatoes.  We did it for trialing taste, yield and disease resistance.  So far we have dug up:
Marfona – very bad slug damage with low yields but haven’t eaten yet
Wilja – low yields and no damage but again haven’t eaten yet
Saxon – heavy yields but again heavy slug damage and taste wasn’t anything exceptional
Anya – very high yields with no damage and they tasted very nice quite nutty tasting
But by far the best was the Yukon Gold with large spuds and a very large yield with no damage and they tasted excellent and great for roasting, baking, chipping and mash.
Julie
 :)

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 08:44:30 »
Sharpes Express went down very well here.  It seems to have absolutely classic new potato qualities and I used it steamed, never thought to bake it.  Only negative point was it was pretty late.

But it was pushed into second position by Charlotte - I was bowled over by it's melting, creamy, sweet and earthy taste and it was my earliest by far with highest yield.

I didn't bother with Charlotte last year because I tend to think if you can get it in the supermarket it's not worth it, but because of the raves here I thought I'd try it again.

Red Duke of York was good too, but I didn't get to it before it was jacket potato size - lovely crispy skins cooking it that way and flavoursome yellow flesh.

I wouldn't bother with Pentland Javelin here again.  For me they were totally bland and had the texture of a Tesco's budget potato.  I didn't even like the shape, kind of oblong.  Large, big yields.

(p.s. I would define my earth type if I could but it seems different around the plot.  Think I need to gather some from various beds and work it out - some loam, some clay in varying proportions - climate - sunny SE)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 08:55:05 by earlypea »

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 09:04:17 »
Think I said this before, but this year I grew a variety called Agata, which gave beautiful early spuds, think skins, nice tender flesh with greatflavour. But not sure if you can get them in the UK. I will be doing those again next year, they are also very cold tolerant in early spring.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 14:30:12 »
Every variety tastes different in different soil and weather conditions I always grow  Rocket , Kestrel and Cara they suit my soil and conditions although this year with the dry weather Rocket tend to mash rather when cooked .

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 14:50:35 »
Someone on here solved the mashed pot problem last year. If you cook them in the micro for 6-7 mins with no water they are fine.

Thanks 1066. Sorry about the moan. :)
Smile, it confuses people.

Dadnlad

• Acre
  • Site Foreman ?
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 19:38:01 »
Swift were really early but pretty tasteless :(

Arran Pilot were great  [again] :D

Red Duke of York - just finishing off the last few - excellent floury bakers :D

Ballydoon [from Ryton] were new for us - lovely buttery taste ;D

Start digging our 2nds this weekend !

Spudbash

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 22:48:57 »
In past years, I've often noted the flavour of home-grown and other potatoes and I agree that flavour depends on soil, watering and other factors, as well as the variety. This year is a very odd one for potatoes as far as I'm concerned, with flavour, texture and yield generally below par. My Red Duke of York were a disgrace! ::)

If I've learned anything from my spuds this year, it's that my pot-grown Anyas perform better than others in a weird season. That said, I still have a few pot- and soil-grown plants to try.

Every year brings surprises, doesn't it? It's curiosity that keeps me gardening!  ;D

BoardStupid

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 22:51:24 »
To be fair I've only had my new plot for 6 weeks so can't really comment.

But, I stuck some nicola tubers in and dug a couple up this weekend. Bloomin lovely if you ask me  ;D

I've now stuck some duke of york and maris peer for some late tasty goodness I hope
If it's not on fire it's a software problem

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 06:56:11 »
Charlotte, and I know it is a second early but it beat Rocker so may times that we treat it as an early now.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal