Author Topic: is this ok for a chicken coop?  (Read 1971 times)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
is this ok for a chicken coop?
« on: August 10, 2010, 08:31:28 »
We are planning to build the coop where the filter bay from our pond is. It is about 4ft square. The floor is concrete with a bottom drain and 2 of the walls are already built with concrete blocks. The plan is to build onto the existing structure forming the other walls with wood and giving it a nesting box and roof. It will be water-tight. Does it matter that the chickens we will be on a concrete floor? Obviously we will put bedding and material in for them to sit on.

Sparkly

• Hectare
Re: is this ok for a chicken coop?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 08:32:09 »
obviously i am keen on using this structure as a concrete floor is good to keep foxes out!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 08:41:35 »
Chickens won't mind where they are roosting as long they needs are met..the concrete floor is fine...and that is actually good as you are able to wash it every now and then..
As long their coop get's adequate ventilation,,they have plenty of clean bedding on floor to absorb moisture and dirt..and it has rainproof roof, somewhere to to roost and nest box/es to lay they should be happy....oh and fox proof too.
So you plan sounds find to me....as long as your girls don't have a chance to get into filter bay or have chance get dround I don't see any broblems.. ;D

Sparkly

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 08:53:38 »
Thanks goodlife :) The construction will be starting today and I am very excited! The pond is being filled in and the area is being turned into the run so no chance of drowning :)

irnhed

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 09:00:23 »
I agree - it should be fine.

The concrete floor will actually help keep the hens' nails short as they scratch about.

I'd suggest that you'll need to put some material down for them to scratch through.  Things like bark aren't great, as they can hold moisture, which then leads to mould, and can make them poorly.

Whatever you put down (wood shavings?) you'll find that you need to dig it out an replace it every so often.  Makes excellent compost  :)

I know that some people put gravel down (being careful of the size & shape, to not hurt their feet) so that they can hose it down when they clean - but that may not be an option for you.  How will you get the water out?

As it's completely water-tight, you'll have to keep an eye on any water building up if you have heavy rains / snow.  

Obviously, this will dissolve any chicken poo and make a not-so-nice mess, and will lead to them getting soggy feet.  You may want to put build some kind of raised area out of bricks (or something) to help them keep dry if it does get wet.

Are you considering putting a roof over the run?  That'll obviously keep the rain off and will provide shade in the summer.

You'll also need to ensure that you put some grit down for them, as they haven't got dirt to dig it out of.
I'd rather be digging my plot

Sparkly

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 18:58:35 »
The run will be soil. The concrete area is only in the hen house.

This was the original pond:

This is the progress at the end of day 1:

Most of the walls are knocked in and the pergola supports re-structured. The pergola will form the run and we will be filling this in with soil.

This is the area where the chicken house will be built:

The floor is concrete and there are 2 walls that are made out of concrete bricks.

Is it necessary to put a waterproof cover over the run? Obviously the house is waterproof!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 22:33:25 »
Code: [Select]
Is it necessary to put a waterproof cover over the run?Not at all....but...You will find that your run will be messy and wet during winter and your girls may avoid coming out during bad weather..so you will have to clean the house more often.
I also like a little shelter from heavy rain when going out to do the daily deeds for the girls,, ;)
And the soil in the run will not turn into mud bath..
I find it is far more easier for me and the girls if the run is covered.

Sparkly

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 16:44:37 »
Here is a pic of the hen house.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_SXMv2XhorB4/TGK9GdV16gI/AAAAAAAAAdE/PEP4VLPMvDM/s1600/DSC_0495.JPG

It is 5 foot long and 3foot wide. Obviously it needs the other wall putting on, which will be removable and also open via a hinge with the nesting boxes on. What do you recommend I should do about the floor area? It is concrete at the moment. Should I put their bedding direct on that or build a wooden frame that is removable that sits on the floor for them to sit on?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal