Author Topic: tomatoes,  (Read 2209 times)

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
tomatoes,
« on: August 08, 2010, 17:38:00 »
 these are two different varietys of tomatoes for us to grow, Brandywine and  Heirloom. shame the weather wasn't kind so some of them are split. but still tastes good, and lots more to come,,,,,,,,,,,,,qahtan

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
Re: tomatoes,
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 22:46:24 »
There's nothing better than home grown tomatoes!  :)
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 22:49:04 »
Our best this year is Sungold -divine  :)
sanity is overated

botanicman

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 11:53:54 »
Lost of all mine last year to blight. This year I am trying Ferline, s'posed to be blight resistant. Have some nice fruit but so far so sign of ripening.
Slightly jealous!!

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 12:59:42 »
Has anybody tried growing them upside down??  I saw the planters in wilkinsons in spring & they wanted £12 for them.  I though sod that so i have grown 1 in my hanging basket on the balcony.  So far it has worked a dream, i have twice as much fruit on it as compared to my other standard potted plant on the balcony.  None are ripe yet tho :(
Is loving how the twins are really getting into planting seeds this year!  two for the price of one!! :D http://i46.tinypic.com/zy7ww8.jpg[/img]

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 13:13:38 »
d**n, no pictures, but I am starting to harvest mine at last. The ones ripening now are MoneyMaker and Marmande (which are subject to a bit of blossom end rot, I have noticed).
Why do people complain about MoneyMaker? The plants are healthy with thick trusses of fruit, and personally I find the flavour excellent, not overly sweet, quite juicy and enough bite to the flesh to make it interesting. I don't see why some people don't like them?
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 13:28:35 »
Why do people complain about MoneyMaker? The plants are healthy with thick trusses of fruit, and personally I find the flavour excellent, not overly sweet, quite juicy and enough bite to the flesh to make it interesting. I don't see why some people don't like them?
It's just attitude, if something is good and new, people will talk up the good points, when something is very popular, even if it is good, people point out the bad points.

Or in other words, people who do not like them like to say why and say why they should not be so popular.
Those who do like them just grow them, or just refer to them as their reliable crop.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

jazzidoodle

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 22:56:13 »
dead jealous of those of you who have lovely red tomatoes. I am battling with blight and trying to get at least one tomato to turn red! 

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 16:48:21 »
 some of our tomatoes have or are being eaten by fly's, so we have sprayed them with listerine, it's a mouthwast, seems to have done the trick, as it is also good ro keep fruit fly's from the kitchen.  Can't do any harm as you wash your fruit etc when you harvest it.
  PS, we like nice money maker tomatoes, nice even size, colour etc....

qahtan 

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 17:21:50 »
Im really excited ive got my first ripe Chernomor today, saving it though so all the family can have a slice.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 18:02:47 »
Ate 10 sungold today.  That is 9 more tomatoes than I had in total last year.   No one else got a look in - they did not make it home from the lottie. ::) 

For me moneymaker has no taste at all. 

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 18:14:48 »
digeroo  weve had loads of sungolds here, ive got a 2 year old son who loves to eat them straight from the plant, his twin howver will not eat a tomato at all.

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 20:38:00 »
digeroo  weve had loads of sungolds here, ive got a 2 year old son who loves to eat them straight from the plant, his twin howver will not eat a tomato at all.

Now that sounds just like my twins last year, i didnt get a lookin with the toms cus as soon as they were red my son wud pinch them, his twin sister however wouldnt go near them.  This year is a different story, she adores tomatoes now so i need eyes in the back of my head or i wnt have any @ all!
Is loving how the twins are really getting into planting seeds this year!  two for the price of one!! :D http://i46.tinypic.com/zy7ww8.jpg[/img]

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 20:43:32 »
Picked loads of Gardeners Delights today and some baby plum toms. The biggies are slow to ripen at present though.(good job, no time to deal with them. ;D)
Smile, it confuses people.

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 21:22:24 »

Now that sounds just like my twins last year, i didnt get a lookin with the toms cus as soon as they were red my son wud pinch them, his twin sister however wouldnt go near them.  This year is a different story, she adores tomatoes now so i need eyes in the back of my head or i wnt have any @ all!

how old are your twins mine are just shy of 3.

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 14:53:54 »

how old are your twins mine are just shy of 3.

Mine are 4 in November & love it down on their garden.  Thier fave thing @ the mo is digging up potato's, any would think they have struck oill with how excited they get over a simple spud!  Its great fun!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal