Author Topic: seedless tomato question  (Read 1774 times)

small

• Hectare
seedless tomato question
« on: August 07, 2010, 15:45:55 »
The subject says it all really - I know there can't be a variety with no seeds at all (I know my science, me) - but do any of you experts out there know of a tomato that has very few and so easily scoopable out without losing most of the fruit?

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: seedless tomato question
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 16:37:24 »
I think Roma has less seeds than other types. There will be some tomato experts along soon ;).

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 16:59:25 »
we had our first marmande tomato for lunch today. It had very few seeds in it and was very fleshy.
gone to pot :D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 17:40:28 »
Marmande are brill, very large,fleshy,not too many seeds and lovely floavour, I find roma better for cooking with  ;D

longalot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 18:02:40 »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 23:41:16 »
There are a great many tomatoes with few seeds.

Basically most of the heart shaped ones and the Roma types have less.
Many of the early parthenocarpic ones have very few seeds in the first fruits and less than normal in the later ones..

Specific varieties of many types are

Chapman.
Red Penna
Red Bulgarian
Heidi
Opalka..really good one
Mama Leone
Ashleigh..very low

Regarding the Burpees Sweet Seedless, I know this tomato and can categorically say that Burpees are kidding you.It is not seedless, the seeds are there, they are smaller,kind of immature but they are there there nevertheless and there are plenty, their claim that it is a great tasting tom  are exaggerated too I found it exactly the opposite.I would not grow it again.

If the reason for the need for seedless is diverticulitis that one would not work for you at all.

You would be better to go for something that has exceptionall large seeds so they are easier to pick out.

There are a great many more varieties than I have mentioned above so plenty of low seed ones out there with only about 10% of the regular amount of seeds.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 01:35:57 »
Have a look at Heinz...I picked one a couple of days ago.... it's the size of a decent beefsteak, weighed in at 9 oz.... less seed cavity than a gardeners delight in the whole thing... it's definietly a cooker though.....

chrisc

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 01:53:16 »
For past two years I've grown "Anna Russian" a heart shaped red tomato, very beefy with very few seeds and those are tiny.
It is not as acidic as "Better Boy", "Black Krim" and "Brandywine", more bland but not blah. The plant can get 5 ft tall or more and need good staking. Fruits can get up to a pound.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 18:28:59 »
Thank you all so much for the suggestions, I'll mull over them for next year.  I doubt if I could find a seedless aubergine though.......

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal