Author Topic: Tub of chicken poo - which plants?  (Read 2661 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Tub of chicken poo - which plants?
« on: August 04, 2010, 18:01:49 »
Got a special offer.  Never used it before.  Can anyone please tell me which plants would like it most.

Would the sprouts like some they seem to have stopped growing?

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: Tub of chicken poo - which plants?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 18:22:56 »
I have probably done it wrong, but have just used it as a general fertlizer. Word of warning tho, if you have foxes on your site, beware! They love it and have a good old dig around, probably looking for the chicken!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 18:34:32 »
Got a special offer. Never used it before. Can anyone please tell me which plants would like it most.

Would the sprouts like some they seem to have stopped growing?

My sprouts have stopped growing too!
I have tried a good feed up but they seem stuck..

As for chicken poo - I generally dig a small handful in a planting hole and mix well in..It's high in nitrogen so good for early season growth when I use it as a general fert but I use it on the surface for my squashes and hungry plants later in the season as well..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 21:26:40 »
Oh crikey I certainly do not want to attract foxes.   I shall make sure that dig it in.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 21:48:52 »
Oh crikey I certainly do not want to attract foxes.   I shall make sure that dig it in.

I've read this, but I use stuff from our girls fairly neat around my squash & have never had any foxy digging, despite the manky old vixen that hangs around our site.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 23:00:50 »

I've read this, but I use stuff from our girls fairly neat around my squash & have never had any foxy digging, despite the manky old vixen that hangs around our site.

Depends how the pellets have been made. I use it as a top dressing, but then theres no urban foxes near.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 23:37:36 »
I used a tub of chicken poo on my flower garden a couple of years ago and my Acanthus did not flower that year, some of my other plants also made lots of greenery but not a lot of flowers, I thought I used the correct amount but could have been a bit generous. It did say on the tub suitable for flowers and vegtables. I would not use it again and will stick to my Growmore and home made compost.
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 00:08:59 »
I used a tub of chicken poo on my flower garden a couple of years ago and my Acanthus did not flower that year, some of my other plants also made lots of greenery but not a lot of flowers, I thought I used the correct amount but could have been a bit generous. It did say on the tub suitable for flowers and vegtables. I would not use it again and will stick to my Growmore and home made compost.

if you overdose a plant with nitrogen it will produce masses of greenery and no fruit or flowers.

Poultry manure is around 4:2:1 and growmore is 7:7:7. On the other hand, when a plant flowers it needs the potassium, and poultry manure is clearly deficient in it!!

SO, use poultry pellets on plants you want lots of leaves on, like lettuce, spinach  and cabbages!!

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 08:15:14 »

SO, use poultry pellets on plants you want lots of leaves on, like lettuce, spinach  and cabbages!!
....and sprouts?

This one confuses me - are they leaves or seedheads?

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 08:26:46 »
After the aminopyralid manure thing ive used these pellets much more.

They are great to give to all those spring bulbs through the summer to build up the bulbs after flowering. and great for leafy things and planting up perrenials to build up the plants. I put some in the hanging baskets and summer bedding pots as i plant them

However this year i used it to plant my tomatoes and they grew so fast and green and branched like mad even the fruit trusses have got stems growing out of them so dont use them for tomatoes!

When i put them on the pots next doors dog comes over to eat them as crunchy dog treats eewww!

Its really good strong stuff but as all the great advice above pick wisely where you use it
x sunloving

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 09:22:07 »
When i put them on the pots next doors dog comes over to eat them as crunchy dog treats eewww!

MY cat loves blood and bone meal - I left a box in the kitchen and it got ripped to shreds!  ???
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 15:51:20 »

MY cat loves blood and bone meal - I left a box in the kitchen and it got ripped to shreds!  ???

ive always said this must be the definition of organic - if the dog can eat it.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 18:40:59 »
Now there is a hunting ban there is a lack of foxes around.  I have not seen one dead or alive or even heard one recently.  I have always believed that they bred them so they could hunt them.  Now they are not longer needed for hunting they have more of less disappeared.  I suppose there will be an explosion in the rabbit population.

So we seem to be saying poultry manure goes on the brassicas and maybe the parsley.  Next time before I buy something I must ask the questions first.  The uses seem to be rather limited.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 18:54:27 »
We had some very old manure delivered for daughters plot so OH sprinkled chicken manure pellets over the manure in the trenches he had dug.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 19:30:47 »
We had some very old manure delivered for daughters plot so OH sprinkled chicken manure pellets over the manure in the trenches he had dug.

It doesnt work. you cant make manure grow by manuring it.......... :o

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 20:11:42 »
 ;D ;D ;D.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal