Author Topic: Dogs on Plots,Advice please as have first plot.  (Read 5217 times)

dazem11

• Not So New ...
Dogs on Plots,Advice please as have first plot.
« on: August 03, 2010, 18:53:04 »
Can someone please advise.. On Saturday i asked the chairman is it ok to bring dogs on he said no... i have a black lab so was hoping to go walkies and do the allotment.
Today after work i pop down and there is a German shepard, now as a newbie on the plot to i be quiet and bring the dog down or do i mention that i saw a dog on site...

Thoughts please
daz

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
Re: Dogs on Plots,Advice please as have first plot.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 19:00:49 »
Hmmm - do you have your tenancy agreement yet?  Read through that - that is your list of rights and responsibilities.  Ours refers to dogs - allowed if keep on lead at all times.

The agreement I have with my black lab is he can be off the lead if we are there by ourselves and he stays off other people plots and doesn't walk on my beds ;)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 19:02:54 »
Dogs are allowed on our site but at times it really annoys me.  I have lost quite a few seedlings to dog paws,  almost a whole row of carrots and another of parsnips all just crushed soon after they had emerged not to mention several rhubarb seedlings,  I also hate finding dog do on my plot,  I do not wear gloves and I hate the thought of putting my fingers into it.  Sorry rant over.

Is there a probationary period?  if you are new i would wait a bit before I tried breaking the rules.   If you asked and they said no iI think is a bit rude to then flout the rules so soon after.    

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 19:09:17 »
As mentioned, it is best to look at the allotment rules. If dogs are not allowed that applies to both of you. Our site allows dogs on a lead and controlled to prevent disturbance to other plots.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 19:12:04 »
Our rules state that dog must be on alead at all times. I myself do not want to eat anything that a dog has been urinating on. We have a wire fence all around our plot for this very reason
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 19:12:54 »
Taking your dog there on the quiet is asking for trouble!
Politely mention that you saw another dog there.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 19:13:28 »
We are allowed dogs too....but kept on a lead or under control....our dog owners are obedient and the dogs too for that matter.They dont go wondering on other plots.......pity the same cannot be said for cats and foxes!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 19:14:33 »
We allow dogs on leads on our site because it is in the Council rules.   I love dogs so it doesn't bother me if people bring them so long as they clean up after them but I can understand that not everyone is happy to have them there, especially if they go on other people's plots.  If I were you, I would wait a while and see if others take their dogs, or is it only the German Shepherd owner who does.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

dazem11

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 19:32:17 »
thanks all for the advice, i will just observe at the moment and wait for the allotment rules etc to be sent to me by post..

thanks
daz

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 09:42:26 »
Personally I do not have a problem with people bringing their dogs onto our site.  As recently made committee members, my husband and I have put forward the idea of having signs put up all over for people to keep proper control of their dogs at all times and to clear up after them.  Sounds obvious but I am sick and tired of seedlings being trampled and dog poo by the site entrance.  We all know who's dog is doing it but we never catch it in the act so can't make the accusation to the owner.  Once the signs go up and if it still continues I can see it going as far as dogs being banned on site which isn't fair for everyone else but what can you do??
Julie
 :)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 10:58:31 »
We have a 'no dogs' rule on our site. That's a laugh! There's at least two who are regularly there and have been allowed to come for at least 5 years that I'm aware of. The rest of us are told we'll be thrown off if we flout the rules. As unfair as it seems, I certainly would keep my head down (and my dog at home ;D) at least untill you are one of the incrowd. ;) ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 11:36:54 »
I am not sure but I think dogs are allowed on our sites but we havent got any on ours.

However as someone who is petrified of dogs I would not appreciate anyone who brought a dog on to site, who did not keep it on his own plot and on a lead.
Not everyone likes dogs and they can be aggresive.
I also have two toddlers and with my fear of dogs I would be concernedf or thier safety too.

I know some dogs are really soft tempered and soppy, but sadly they dont come wtih big signs on so I can tell the difference.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal