Author Topic: Allotment Open Day  (Read 3676 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Allotment Open Day
« on: July 05, 2010, 17:33:57 »
After spending over twenty years on this site I have finally managed to to cajole a plot holder to form & run a social community on the plot.

We have now had 2 Xmas dinner get togethers and Saturday was our 2nd summer get together so it looks like we can say we have a social club on the site now, which is nice!

We have also started a wildlife preservation community with each plot getting either a bird or bee box on it and on Saturday we formed a Butterfly garden on an unused plot on the site.

Here are a few pictures taken on Saturday!

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Slide%20Shows/Allotment%20Open%20day%202010/allotment%20open%20day%202010.html

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Re: Allotment Open Day
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 18:05:39 »
Well done to all of you plot holders .

It looks like you all had fun planting up that butterfly garden.

Duke :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 19:18:35 »
The whole site looks great, TG- well done for getting things going! If you open to the public let me know and I'll come and have a nosey- and some of that cake! :D

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 19:26:10 »
What a fabulous site TG, some productive plots there, and I love the greenhouses.   That notice board looks very professional.  Well done on getting the social side going.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 19:26:46 »
What a nice tidy site TeeGee
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 20:39:59 »
I wish our site looked even half as good.

In a fortnight, we've got a Centenary BBQ and the official opening of our Lottery-Funded composting loo. And all sorts of mayors, lottery people and other assorted important people and press. But - although we have quite a few brilliant bits - our site's not a patch on yours....

And congratulations on the social event. That's what it's about. It's not sad old men in flat hats & braces escaping from "er indoors"; its a community. We've got more young than old on our site; and more female than male. And an increasing number of kids, who are our future.

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 22:52:59 »
Looks great Alex !!
We are holdng our 3rd BBQ and show this year, others are now taking on some of the work and everyone enjoys it  :D

picman

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 22:13:53 »
Great set of pictures, our 2nd open day last Sat to raise money for toilet ! our new social secretary doing a grand and difficult job.  i think we could do with a notice board like yours ours is just ignored. Some pictures on flickr   http://www.flickr.com/photos/pic-man/

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 22:08:58 »
Well done on successfully growing a community - a flower not many can cultivate. The site does look incredibly well-kept.

And you all seem to be great at building useful structures. I've never got beyond the makeshift, sticks-stuck-in-the-ground/plants growing up an old clothes horse sort of structures. I aspire to be more like you and your allotment neighbours!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal