Author Topic: no eggs  (Read 2444 times)

chicken girl

• Not So New ...
no eggs
« on: June 27, 2010, 20:12:16 »
I have a 29 week old black rock who  has not yet started laying any ideas as to why this is i feed her layer pellets  she is in a  large enclosed avery type enclosure my other girl is laying ok  >:(

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: no eggs
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 23:44:15 »
Did you get her given and told she is 29wks,  or have you had her since point of lay.  My blackrocks started laying at 19 weeks.  Still laying now at the start of the fourth year.  They usually stop any time after 5 years but can lay for up to 8 yrs.

Is she in moult?  This causes them to go off lay.  If so blackrocks can be off lay up to 4 months,  but this should be a lot less if moulting in summer months.

At worst - Check around the nesting area for signs of broken shells and egg remains.  If she is now eating her own eggs then it could be time for the cull as it is difficult to reverse once they start, and other hens may follow suit.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

chicken girl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 12:45:15 »
got them at point of lay 19 weks . def not laid at all and not in mou;t

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 13:16:21 »
One of mine was over 30 weeks when she started to lay... maybe just wait a while and see what happens.

Is her comb fully developed and bright red?  Does she duck when you do near her? These are signs that she is nearly ready, also find that mine tend to do very mustardy coloured poos just before they come into lay.
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

chicken girl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 21:17:13 »
caznbob, no she does not duck down and her comb is not red its always been paler and down since i got her .

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 22:28:22 »
If her comb is floppy, that is not a good sign, she could be under the weather. I would try some poultry spice in their food and special cider vinegar in their water. Also worm them if not already done so.

However if is not fully developed, then it is just a case of waiting, I had given up on my one and she eventually started and is a really good layer now.

In my experience their combs and wattles only redden prior to coming into lay.

Hope this helps

Corinne

Smile at your enemies.

chicken girl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 21:03:35 »
Thanks corrine have done all of the above and her comb has always been a bit floppy since i got her she eats and drinks well and seems well

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 22:43:22 »
Crossing my fingers for you!  ;D
Smile at your enemies.

palmski

• Quarter Acre
  • My Raised Bed 07-2010
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 22:18:23 »
just a thought 2 of my chicks have floppy coombes and lay fine however when they are pale this could be a sign that they are anemic
Check living area for red mite. these things multiply like wild fire come out at night and feast on the chicks blood then during the day play hide and seek in the tightest of places.

chicken girl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 16:03:34 »
Have checked for red mite no sighn of it  :D

chicken girl

• Not So New ...
very sad
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 17:43:59 »
 :( :( :( :( very sad news my girl who was not laying died today she was fine at 9am at 11 we found her. no sign that she was ill was eating and drinking fine yesterday. she was 31 weeks old .

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 23:55:24 »
So sorry to hear about your hen, chicken girl.  I think you should contact the people you got her from and see what they have to say.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal