Author Topic: Jarrahdale Squash???  (Read 2021 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Jarrahdale Squash???
« on: July 30, 2010, 14:30:19 »
This is supposed to be a Jarrahdale Squash. It is huge, slightly ribbed and pale green in colour. According to all the Google images I have found it should be deeply ribbed, have a flat shape and be a greenish blue when mature. (Seed was from you Jeannine  :)). In contrast, the second photo is of a Crown Prince which looks exactly like it should.  It is the second picture which is the Jarrahdale - got the attachments mixed up - sorry!

Tricia

[attachment=3]
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 14:35:09 by tricia »

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: Jarrahdale Squash???
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 17:16:54 »
Hi Tricia,

I am sure my Jarrahdale looked the same as yours when growing and only went bluer during storage, and the ribs developed more as it grew, as far as I can remember yours looks like mine did last year  :)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 17:44:37 »
Tricia, mine did the same.  Nothing to worry about.  Just like Tulipa said.

Mine got bluer and then, later on in storage that blue colouring turned baby pink!  Most attractive.  Jarrahdale keep for a very long time too, well into spring.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 21:41:40 »
Thanks Tulipa and Galina - as you can see the squashes are very large already - and beginning to cause a problem on the trellis (there are 5 green hubbards as well hidden in the foliage). Hope the nets hold out for another couple of months :P. I'll need a new trellis frame for next year, but will grow smaller squash varieties on it. A pity there is not more space in my small walled garden to be able to let them grow horizontally.

Tricia

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 22:09:51 »
Hi Tricia,  good pictures.

Those should be fine.Seeds came for Seed Savers in the US who are pretty careful

The Jarradale should be a bit deeper lobed and sometimes a tad darker in color. then the Crown eventually.

I would have expected the Crown to be a bit bigger than the Jarrhadale as they are different sizes at maturity.

At maturity Crown should be about 11 pounds but only about 6 for Jarrhadale. About the same in height bit the Crown should be wider.

Flesh colour is paler in Jarrhadale and not as sweet as Crown but both beautiful squashes. Both pictures look a little less squat than the mature fruit, they look rounder but I wouldn't judge them till finished as they can change before then.

They look very good , I am very envious.

XX Jeannine

« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 22:12:11 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 22:23:30 »
Hi Jeannine - These two are the opposite! The Jarrahdale is twice the size of the Crown Prince. I only got one Crown Prince two years ago too - about the same size as the one in the photo. Only thing is, I didn't get to eat it as the mice in my shed got to it (and a lot of my stored squash) before I did. I learned from that experience and stored last year's squash in the porch where the temperature is a steady 15C during the winter.

I'm really looking forward to my squash harvest this year as I'm growing three that I've not grown before -  Jarrahdale, Green Hubbard and Black Futsu. The latter two are quite prolific - 5 GH and the BF has 7 fruit swelling and there are more to come.

And next year I shall sow some of those seeds that you sent to my sister for me.........I love growing squash and sweetcorn  8) 8)!

Tricia

p.s don't forget to let me know what I can send you via my sister, will you?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 22:54:23 »
Well squash are notorious for throwing us all for a loop but the sizes I gave you are standard and the seeds were from a good source.I guess we will just have to wait and see,it will be interesting.

No I haven't forgotten. I am thinking about it. Thank you

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal