Author Topic: amarylis  (Read 5248 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
amarylis
« on: December 14, 2004, 10:15:05 »
I bought my first amarylis this year. A month or so ago. The stump has gone more green, but it hasn't grown. Should it have by now or am I just being impatient as usual?
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:amarylis
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 22:24:55 »
I reakon you are being impatient.  Mine flowers in late spring to early summer, but then mine is currently living a rather cold dormant life in the greenhouse and won't be coming in until I have some room!  Give it time, don't over water and it will start to shoot up skywards.  Once they start there is no stopping them!  ;D

simhop

• Quarter Acre
Re: amarylis
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2004, 11:31:48 »
Excellent I have found an Amaryliss expert...... Maybe you can give me a bit of advice Emma. I have a few first year amaryliss and a couple of them have just finished flowering - what do I now, should I cut the stems or wait for them to die down?
You said yours are dormant? When do they need their rest?
Cheers
Simon

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 16:24:54 »
I was definitely being impatient and/or they were too cold. I moved them from the kitchen windowsill to the livingroom (no radiator in the kitchen, so very cold most of the day) and within a week it seemed like someone (Mr Aqui was my only culprit as I knew I hadn't done it) had put a flaked almond in the top of it! Then I quickly realised it was beginning to sprout. There's now one leaf a few inches long and a slightly shorter flower bud (mum says the fat one is the flower - it's definitely one of them!) can't wait!
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 22:53:03 »
I received 3 for Chrimble - the joy of elderly rellies who know I have a love of flowers!  All 3 are in different stages of bud, and look good and healthy.  Now I must bring my others in from the greenhouse to warm them up and get them going.  Wonderful.

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2005, 00:10:25 »
In the Netherlands Amaryllis are grown in greenhouses and in the month December you see them everywhere in BLOOM.
Actually the flower periode is fom December untill end of June, during 7-10 weeks.
After buying one you put the bulb in a warm place with direct sunlght (for development stems). Give not much water until stem appears. As the bud+ leaves appear, water more.
After flowering it can be made flowerin AGAIN. Cut old flowers from stem, than later cut back to the top of bulb.
Or watr +fertilie till 5 monhs, when leaves get yellow, cut to 5cm from top of bulb and remove bulb from soil. Clean t+put in dark, cool place (min 6 weeks) in refrigerator (no fruit-apples) in fridge. Plant bulb again at least 2months before you want it in bloom again.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2005, 00:24:06 »
That is sort of the treatment mine receive and not only do I get them to flower year after year, they are also providing lots of baby bulbs so I am hoping my collection will grow.  I suppose what would look rather stunning is all of them in a great big lovely pot.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2005, 15:29:33 »

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 11:24:50 »
I bought mine (single bulb, red variety, Lions Mane I think) about a month before Xmas. It started shooting about 2 weeks after planting (kept in a warm-ish and light kitchen) and now has some very long leaves and a bud stem about 4 inches long! Hope it looks as good as your's Andy!

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005, 18:57:41 »
I just got told off ;D
It`s not mine I am told...... The mother in law is on the attack................ :(

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 19:06:04 »
got 4 full blooms now ;D

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2005, 23:34:53 »
IS gorgeous Andy. Mine just comeing up with one stem got bud in about 8" tall. Which I bought it from Amsterdam when I was here in mid Nov last year. I put it in pot soon I got back to Uk. So now about 7 weeks. Looking good. Hope as good as your. :P
Yuet
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 23:36:35 by yuetlee »

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2005, 11:06:31 »
So do I just cut stems off close to bulb and leave it? The flowers have died now. :'(

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2005, 18:05:18 »
I cut out the flowering stem but leave the leaves.  once the weather warms up in spring, bung it out of the way somewhere in the garden for the summer, then into a frost free place for the autumn bringing it back into the warm again around Christmas time.  Mine came in a couple of weeks ago and has a lovely fat shoot already!

Jak

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2005, 18:26:15 »
Do you feed yours Emma?  I treat mine in a similar way to you, but I feed with tomato food once a week during the summer.  Am I wasting my tomato food?  :-\

Jak
When the tide of life turns against you, and the current upsets your boat.  Don't waste time on what might have been, just lie on your back and float.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2005, 18:51:44 »
hmmm...probably not.  I don't feed mine, unless it is near anything else that is getting fed  :-\.  They will probably get a feed or 2 towards the end of their flowering time, as I start to feed my other conservatory plants.

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2005, 18:28:18 »
Hi there,
Here are my two Amarylis that I bought from Amsterdam in Nov last year. I plant them at the same time. Look at the different between them two.  :)  Yuet

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2005, 23:11:46 »
What an amazing difference Yuet!  The one that is open is gorgeous tho, and just think, as that one is coming to an end, you will have another to replace it!

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2005, 20:11:33 »
I never thought about that  :) I only thought that must be a rotten one.  At least I got one flower just catch our Chinese New Year on Wednesday ;)
Yuet
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 20:14:05 by yuetlee »

botchituk

• Not So New ...
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2005, 00:02:26 »
Hi all, not really a thing on growing them, but a quite unbelievable tale.
Our local Co-op superstore was selling Amaryllis buy one get one free for I think £1.99 - not too bad I don't think. But on going through the checkout they were scanning for £0.00 !! excellent you might think, But here's the good bit, They gave you a penny cashback ;D ;D now how stupid is that!! So not only do you get 2 amaryllis free you get a penny change. So who says prices are rising. Unsurprisingly they sold (is that the right word??) out in no time.
Howay the lads

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal