Author Topic: First sweetcorn - yum!  (Read 2386 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
First sweetcorn - yum!
« on: July 27, 2010, 22:22:22 »
Four minutes in the microwave then slathered with butter, plenty of black pepper and a little salt................bliss  ;D ;D

[attachment=1]

Not quite as plump as last year, probably because of the lack of rain, but 'Applause' is quite prolific. There are two cobs on most of my sixteen plants.

Tricia

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: First sweetcorn - yum!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 22:24:58 »
Wow, that's really early, well done.  Yum indeed.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 22:37:57 »
I am sick, that blooming sick i am thinking of move South.....I have just got into my early spuds and people are eating sweet corn,

Remove that mouth watering picture you lucky blighter

The green eyed monster is coming out in me.

Enjoy
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 22:42:40 »
It's a pity that Dan doesn't add an emoticon 'green with envy'. ;D

Shouldn't be too long before we get our 'first'. ;D

valmarg

amphibian

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 22:42:41 »
My first last year was eralier than this, South is definately best for early corn. Mine's nowhere near ready this year.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 09:45:18 »
I am sick, that blooming sick i am thinking of move South........

I'm thinking of moving north! or west! anywhere where it rains. Since Mid April, we have had less that 1 inch of rain here. It bypasses us, it rains 3 miles away but not here. (bottom of Lea Valley). The sweetcorn here are forming, but its a struggle to keep them watered.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 13:11:34 »
The English Riviera is also in a weather 'pocket' - which is fine for the tourists but costly for me having to water the moisture loving vegetables like sweetcorn, celeriac and squashes with the hosepipe -  when the water butts remain empty for lack of a good downpour!

So often the forecast has proved to be wrong with only very brief showers (which have scarcely wetted the paving stones let alone the soil  ::)) instead of the forecast prolonged rain.

Tricia

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 06:13:29 »
it has been over a month since the first  harvest of sweet corn was available at local farmers market.
Looks good but I am more of a fan of white sweet corn.
the local farmer markets don't even sell yellow sweet corn.
bi-colour some times but yellow sweet corn as the vendors told me just does not sell.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 07:13:43 by plainleaf »

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 13:57:38 »
I the USA they say when going to the garden to pick your sweetcorn take your time going, but rush back to get them boiled, where as we English are much wiser, we rush to the garden and take the boiling water with us
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 20:27:02 »
Davy, that is only the for the old varieties, the triple sweets have a week sell by date ;D Good quote though XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Sally A

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 16:33:47 »
Well done Tricia, mine are plumping out but a good 3 -4 weeks before I pick any I reckon.

I agree with running back with the cob, and a pan of water already on the boil.  It adds to mums eccentric gardening habits, and has become an annual ritual  ;)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 02:31:57 »
An interesting observation foe which I have no answer.

I haven't grown corn this year but have watched my lotie neighbours with interest.

The man next door but one has fine corn, it is 5 feet tall, base of the stalks are thicker than a really good thick cucumber , healthy as can be but no sign of silks or tassells

Across the path from him only a few feet away is more corn.  About three feet high, spindly weedy looking stuff but complete with tassells and ..and I have seen this again in the lotties, poky looking corn all tasselled up.

I can only guess that my neighbour has heavy fed his.. the others may have tasseled early is the plants are under stress so mY not really produce anything worthwhile.

I don't know if I dare take a camera and take pictures but it is a really great thing to watch.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 10:43:48 »
Got healthy plants, got tassles, got hope........please get sweetcorn soon..... :)

A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 11:07:27 »
Got my eye firmly on one cob.  It will not be long

Four minutes in the microwave then slathered with butter, plenty of black pepper and a little salt ... 
  Sounds scrummy.

Yes if we were further south we would also get them earlier Plainleaf but how are your runner beans doing?  Are you far too hot and dry to experience the taste after rushing in with a huge handful of beans and plunging them into boiling water.   Sweet corn and runners now that is a treat worth waiting for.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 11:42:03 »
At least we now know he doesn't grow his own corn!

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 13:03:04 »
Well I live in the south and everything in my garden is late :(The sweetcorn looks healthy enough but no silks or tassels yet. Only had two runner beans so far and spuds and carrots but still waiting for the tomatoes lots of fruit and flowers but no ripening so far. I could just eat some of your lovely corn right now :)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 18:11:02 »
Looks delicious Tricia! I'm still hopeful, even after my trial and tribulations with germination, and then the wind knocking them all over the place, oh and no rain to speak of. Just as well I'm an optimist  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 03:10:50 »
I just to keep looking, I have no corn this year...yum XX Jeannine

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 22:23:53 »
East Sussex: took visiting family into my allotment yesterday and we picked 8 cobs, hurried home, boiled them briefly and set to. I am so pleased with them - I had been afraid that in this drought (and I have not watered them for weeks) they would be showing tassels but not plumping up. They were delicious - the 3 and 5 yr olds were gnawing away at them keenly.

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 07:45:36 »
Looks very tasty Tricia.

Here are the ones i picked at 8am yesterday and at 3pm they were part of our Sunday roast :)

Neil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal