Author Topic: Dwarf beans advice please  (Read 1385 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Dwarf beans advice please
« on: July 27, 2010, 09:11:46 »
I put some beans to germinate and in a couple of days they have already sprouted.  I normally put these into pots but since the soil is warm am thinking about throwing them straight in.  I normally find that direct sown ones the leaves rot as they reach the surface.   What do you suggest?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Dwarf beans advice please
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 09:18:52 »
I grew 24 in pots, got 20 good plants out of them, transplanted them, surrounded by slug safe, lost 2 already, if we'd planted them direct in this weather, we'd not have seen one  :)

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 09:26:31 »
What do you mean by this weather.  We are still suffering from drought conditions!!!

Only one good shower and a couple of hours of drizzle for weeks.   Very few slugs about.  But I think you are right, I am just being lazy.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 09:27:41 »
sorry, hasn't really stopped for 3 weeks, very warm with it and now a full smith's period, blight next  ::) ;D

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 09:56:06 »
I find the same Digeroo - it's chancy putting them straight in the ground.  If it rains (praying), or they get overwatered before appearing they come up with nude stems.

I think it's too much water after they've germinated because they invariable do that when I've tried pre-germinating and putting in the soil.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 10:11:49 »
Can I ask what variety you are growing for your late crop

1066  :)

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 11:02:19 »
Last year I used Safari and got a good crop from some very old seed, so they are going in.  In the past I have had a good crop of Aiquilon.  But I have some heritage Hungarian Wax from a co in Canada.  I have some Maxi, Opera, Teepee and Sonesta and a few Ying Yang.  Got most of the packets for 50p last  year.  I will see which are the best.  The Hungarian are so far winning, they germinated first, and the early ones were amongst the first to crop.
And some very old Boby but I don't think they are going to germinate. 

Also some old Aiquilon and some Speedy.  Not at all sure where I am going to put them all.  Will have to get the shoe horn out.  I have started putting them down the edges of my carrot beds and as they grow the carrots gradually disappear beside them.  At least there are no manure issues there.

All the packets say sow until July, except the Speedy which says June.  But they are supposed to crop in 7-8 weeks so there is plenty of time.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 11:52:22 »
I put some beans to germinate and in a couple of days they have already sprouted.  I normally put these into pots but since the soil is warm am thinking about throwing them straight in.  I normally find that direct sown ones the leaves rot as they reach the surface.   What do you suggest?

I have had reasonable success with direct sowing, then covering each group of 2 beans with a bottle cloche.  Less chance of overwatering, you can water into the bottle if needed and unless you trapped slugs under the bottles, no slugs.

However transplanting at the two true leaf stage (with a bottle cloche each to ward off slugs decapitating the bean seedlings) is the most successful method for me.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 12:05:33 »
I have had more success with bean by watering outside the bottle cloches after an initial damping of the soil.  That way the roots get it but the surface remains dry for the emerging leaves. 

I let some go too long on the kitchen roll and there was a row of little leaves peeping out of the pot so I quickly threw them into the garden and they are now looking remarkably perky, I lost a couple to a blackbird.  No slugs this year.  Got a headgehog again in garden and there is a huge spotty frog.  Lottie covered in toads mostly only inch long but a few adults as well. 

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 18:20:49 »
Thanks for the info Digeroo, must get a few more on the go to see if I can get a late crop

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 20:36:51 »
I had some seeds left so have sown them into a rather large window box - keeps them away from slugs and snails and I don't have any spare ground until later, already grown some like this and so far have provided a good crop

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 11:24:10 »
now thats a great idea Calendula, I really don't have much space at the mo either  :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 11:34:57 »

I was really surprised reading this as I have always sowed beans direct and have never had any problems!  I must have been lucky. My beans always seem to have to wait for a bit of space after other stuff is finished  so it's pot luck really and I couldn't keep them hanging on in pots until I had enough room to plant them. Pardon the inadvertent pun!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal