Author Topic: Pumpkins  (Read 1351 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Pumpkins
« on: July 25, 2010, 19:34:39 »
Last night my pumpkins seemed OK and I have been watering, should have marked the 3 plants as not sure where they started off.  Today I went up and it looks like someone has trampled through them, or maybe an animal.  Cut off the broken stems.  Should I cut them back a bit as they are walking into next doors allotment, which is not cultivated or leave them.  Perhaps they are overloaded with flowers and tiny pumpkins and not enough water.  Manuel, my pumpkin expert, has gone away to work so have no-one to advise this year. 

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 19:38:27 »
I can better advise you if you ellaborate on the damage , how long are they now  and what kind of pumpkinXX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

firefightersbabe

• Not So New ...
  • A new, but enthusiastic learner!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 16:52:01 »
Hi,

I'm interested in pumpkin advice too - thankfully my pumpkin plant has not been damaged, but having never grown one before, I'm needing some help!!

It's slightly over 1.5 metres long now, with 2 small fruits on it and quite a few male flowers.  I'm wondering if I should cut the main stem, as it just seems to be growing and growing now, and logic to me, suggests if I stop that, then more energy will go into the fruits?

Also, do I need to put some straw or similar beneath the fruits, to keep them off the soil?

North east Scotland here!!  :)

Many thanks, and sorry to hijack your thread, Borlotti!

Judi.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 16:57:35 by firefightersbabe »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 09:27:27 »
No, don'y cut it yet .it's just starting to go  it can go a long way yet XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 13:50:39 »
I grew these from seed from pumpkins that Manuel gave me last year.  Saw Nick yesterday and he showed me how to pull the end bits off, near the new pumpkins and said to eat some small and tender and let two or three grow to big ones.  Last picture is Manuel's pumpkin where the seed came from.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 22:02:07 »
How big did Manuel's grow to.  I think I have planted mine too close and i can't get under the leaves now.  Luckily I have marked where the origianl plant is so i can water them

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 23:00:30 »
 ::)I have been trying to grow them last two years just had small yellow fruit and then shriveled up, and then along came my 6 yr old grandson planted 2 seeds and Now I  have two plants st least 20ft long with enormous pumkins on about 6 per plant.they are travelling a rate of knots round all the pathways between the beds. He is due back from his holidays this weekend . When he pats his weekly visit he will be pleased as punch. Last year I was so embarresed I nipped to shop and bought a couple and hid them under the leaves so as not to dissapoint him. No need for that this time. Jammy little devil  . I'm putting it down to beginners luck or maybe tell the other plotties he takes after his grandma  ::)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 10:07:57 »
I should have marked the original three plants but didn't, but have been chucking water at them.  Manuel's grew big, too big for me to lift but not sure of the weight.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 10:14:57 »
Found the photo of last year's one that I saved the seed from.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 10:52:16 »
Looks like a Cinderela  coach one XX Jeannine

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal