Author Topic: shirley tomatoes  (Read 3128 times)

willconkerer

• Not So New ...
shirley tomatoes
« on: July 26, 2010, 09:18:35 »
Anybody growing shirleys in the greenhouse?
Do they stop growing at about 5 feet tall - mine seem to have, with strange thick branchings out, none of which appear to be sideshoots
Grew Alicante last year and had to pinch out the tips at about 8 feet, so I was expecting the same this year.
This happened at about the same time as I sprayed with Bordeaux mixture - any connection?

Thanks

Will

Gillysdad

• Half Acre
  • Gateshead.
Re: shirley tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 18:46:55 »
I've grown Shirley toms for a few years now, and have always had to stop them growing taller by nipping out the growing tip. I don't spray them with anything, sorry I can't help with that one.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 18:48:38 by Gillysdad »

small

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 21:59:48 »
My Gardeners Delight did just the same - but I often have an odd plant of all sorts fork at about that height, is it not just one of those odd things tomatoes do? Come on, experts, enlighten us!

willconkerer

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 07:45:40 »
thanks both

If I didn't spray against blight I wouldn't have any crop at all.
Any more thoughts welcome. I woke up wondering if soil acidity is an issue - I'll do a test later.
(the greenhouse has soil beds topped up with copious amounts of home-made compost)

cheers

Will

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 07:52:06 »
We always grow Shirley and the only time we got blight was when we grew them outside.We stop them when they reach the roof of the GH
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

meg_gordon

• Half Acre
  • Ayr
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 08:53:41 »
I always have to stop my Shirleys before they hit the roof of the GH.

Meg

ps - also growing Brandywine mainly because of the great write up on this forum, but all 4 plants split (bifurcated?) and I have trained both stems up the cane.  Dont know if this usually happens.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 16:18:17 »
 but all 4 plants split (bifurcated?) and I have trained both stems up the cane.  Dont know if this usually happens.

It can and does with quite a few of the `heritage` types. Just accept it

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 00:55:10 »
If you want a tomato that will demonstrate all the growth faults (frequently on the same plant within a foot or so) then grow Black Krim.... I had one bifurcate, then one of the shoots grew blind into a leaf, the otherone into a truss, then the truss threw a growth point instead of a flower at the end , after a few nodes this  growth point bifurcated, both went blind into trusses..... if I didn't like the results so much the growth habit would drive me potty

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal