Author Topic: How are everyones squashes doing  (Read 58211 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: How are everyones squashes doing
« Reply #380 on: October 09, 2010, 21:27:38 »
I'm not sure what I would do without the windowsills either! I need to make some room for a couple of over wintering chillies yet.  The squash seem to store quite well on the windowsills (going on previous years) - but this year I was going to try and hang them in tights from hooks in the shed (old out house) ceiling, but haven't got round to sorting the hooks out - or getting any tights for that matter!

I did have a bit of fun colour coding and then thinking up the names - the French landing made me smile most cos of Harold / Norman and their merry men  ;)

1066  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #381 on: October 09, 2010, 23:17:22 »
Finally Immortalized!  Queensland Blue, Crown Prince etc.  Now we can eat.

The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #382 on: October 09, 2010, 23:36:47 »

Fantastic !! ;)
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #383 on: October 10, 2010, 10:08:11 »
Ohh..you are clever girl Annie...that's good!...and how long that took for you to paint it?
Code: [Select]
Now we can eat.No :o...it's much nicer on the wall..why don't you eat the squashes instead? ;) ;D

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #384 on: October 10, 2010, 17:21:19 »
...and how long that took for you to paint it?
A neighbor comes over once a week and we paint together. It usually takes a month but that includes one evening of dickering over what objects we want to paint and where to place them according to some hazy art principles. She has a great sense of humor so we giggle a lot while critiquing each of our "great masterpieces."

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #385 on: October 10, 2010, 17:41:48 »
Nice one Annie
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #386 on: October 10, 2010, 18:12:38 »
That is so good GA, and what better subject than squash to have on your wall! ;)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #387 on: October 10, 2010, 19:10:15 »
That is so good GA, and what better subject than squash to have on your wall! ;)
I just looked at your allotment link, Squash64. What a beautiful set of photos of all your allotment buddies with their wonderful, healthy looking produce and flowers.  It looks like you must all have a good time together especially getting ideas from growers of all different backgrounds.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #388 on: October 11, 2010, 22:40:55 »
GA - that is a wonderful work! Not only do you grow them, but you paint them and then eat them  ;D

Thanks for sharing  :)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #389 on: October 12, 2010, 00:10:06 »

You are very talented!  Enjoy the squashes.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #390 on: October 12, 2010, 05:18:19 »

I just looked at your allotment link, Squash64. What a beautiful set of photos of all your allotment buddies with their wonderful, healthy looking produce and flowers.  It looks like you must all have a good time together especially getting ideas from growers of all different backgrounds.

Thank you GA, we do have a lovely group of people and so far nobody has objected to having their photo on the website.

I sometimes think we are like a little United Nations here. Our latest plotholders are from Mauritius and Iraq with someone from Afghanistan almost at the top of the waiting list.

I love walking around the site and seeing how other nationalities grow things.  I will definitely be growing my squash up a Bangladeshi frame again but I will make sure it's strong enough next time!

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #391 on: November 10, 2010, 19:39:34 »
I've have now used up my first ever queensland blue..now, is it normal for this variety but mine was really strongly melon/cucumber fragranced ???..I have never noticed this with any other squash before ??? It is not unpleasant just suprising..I know both are related and there was the similar flavour too when raw..but after cooking it all was 'job as usual' ;D

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #392 on: November 10, 2010, 20:44:32 »
I've have now used up my first ever queensland blue..now, is it normal for this variety but mine was really strongly melon/cucumber fragranced ???..I have never noticed this with any other squash before ??? It is not unpleasant just suprising..I know both are related and there was the similar flavour too when raw..but after cooking it all was 'job as usual' ;D

Yes, perfectly normal for a number of squashes.  Quite amazing if you haven't come across this before.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #393 on: November 10, 2010, 22:11:20 »
I've been baking "pumpkin" pies out of the butternuts and cannot tell any difference in taste from regular pumpkin.

Am looking forward to trying the Queensland as I heard it has a more vegetable taste whatever that means.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #394 on: November 11, 2010, 12:40:26 »
Had a bit of an emergency last night when I realised one of my Lunga di Napoli had started to rot at the stem end. Cut the bad bit off, hacked it into about a dozen lumps (of a size suitabel for one meal for me), roasted one for my tea and put the rest in the freezer....

Was this a wise move?
Also the one I ate (from the flower end and therefore with seeds etc removed) was almost like a vegetable spaghetti... Not unpleasant but I thought it would be smooth-fleshed.... I might try and make some ginger and squash jam with it....

chrisc

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #395 on: November 11, 2010, 16:05:58 »
we ate the 1st of the Crown Prince's the other day - YUM!!! 1 meal for 6 of us  ;D

Debating which one to try next......

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #396 on: November 11, 2010, 16:11:55 »
One of our uchi kuri looked a bit dodgy so seeds are roasting now, oops, just heard popping  ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #397 on: November 11, 2010, 16:30:13 »
Quite amazing if you haven't come across this before.No I havent' come across it before..a have always grown odd pumpking and some butternuts but that is about how exiciting my squash growing has been..untill this year ::) I've never bothered growing in quantity as OH has been under training to learn to eat squash..it the skin is not orange and it doesn't looke like pumpkin he start being suspicious with his food ::) But 'we' getting there ;D ..and now that he has been munching away with different sorts variety in lottie will expand ;D ;D
We've had same training with every other veg that doesn't look like supermarket veg ::)..I keep repeating myself to him, "why to grow ordinary colour when you can grow...instead"..etc.. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal