Author Topic: Where can I find the best value grow bags?  (Read 7631 times)

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
Where can I find the best value grow bags?
« on: May 10, 2009, 20:33:07 »
Hi All,

Not sure if this belongs in this section but thought it might get the most viewers .......

I need to buy quite a few grow bags for chilli's probably 20+ are needed and cost is a big factor, as chilli's aren't as greedy as toms and water is not a problem they don't need to be anything flash. 

Please can you let me know what you have gone for / seen and how much they are (if you can recall) before I waste have a day and half a tank driving to all the DIY stores and garden centres in the shire.

Thanks in advance.

Helen x

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Where can I find the best value grow bags?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 20:44:03 »
I've seen them in Wyevale about £5 for 4 bags. J A Bowers.
Janet

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 05:33:24 »
I've seen them in Wyevale about £5 for 4 bags. J A Bowers.
Janet

I've been using them as soil mix improvers cos thery're cheap and there's a Wyevale handy...... they're ok compost but need a massage.... suggest for chillis a 6-8 inch pot of 50-50 growbag and soil would be fine.... and Wyevales have a pot recycling thing where they have open bins of pots to reuse that you can just take for free.....

chrisc

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 07:31:37 »
Netto have them for 99p.

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 16:20:46 »
Thanks for the info, it looks like I am going to have to go on a mission to Sudbury !!

Are any of the big chains doing any bargains?

Helen x

SPUDLY

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 16:32:57 »
I brought a grow bag from netto's this year, and it was rubbish. If it is the mostly yellow bag, leave well alone. I didn't have a problem with them last year but this year it was cheap and nasty, full of bits of wood, that looked as if it was creosoted, some wire, and also shredded plastic. I use this stuff as potting compost because it's cheap, and has worked well in the past. Don't get me wrong, this may have been a one off, and at 99p you certainly get what you pay for. 

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 23:30:46 »
I think you need to know the volume in the bags to be able to compare prices.I just got 4 fom Wickes 75kg for around £1.50. Was that cheap???

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 23:49:19 »
Co-op are doing them for £1.19, on the small side but my toms, cucs and melons are thriving in them

Linda

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 18:05:40 »
Oh just read my post it should have been £11.50. Hope none of you have been to Wickes on the strength of my post????

GlentoranMark

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 21:50:20 »
Poundstretcher had small 10L grow bags for 49p and 20L growbags for 89p, its been 2 weeks since I visited the shop but the offer is still on their website

http://www.poundstretcher.co.uk/media/pressAdd.htm

BTW I bought one of the 3 tiered greenhouses, decent enought for a £10er.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 10:52:18 »
Next Thursday Lidls are selling a grow bag for £1.19 its a 30 litre one. Dont buy the Somerfield ones £2.99 and full of wood !!

Duke  ;)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 13:35:07 »
Thanks so much to you all your your information, there is a lidl just down the road from me so I will be camping out there next wednesday night to make sure I can get the 20 I need.

Wish me luck!

Helen x

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 20:01:02 »
Have not been on site for a while but i buy grow bags 100ltr bags at makro whole salers 3 bags for £10+vat still great value  AJB grow bags you will probubly have a store in your area
m j gravell

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 12:44:45 »
Check to see if you have a council recycling composter in your area... I do in Swindon and if I go and load up myself from the piles they charge me 28 pounds a ton for compost and/or topsoil. a ton of compost is around 3000 litres as far as I can tell, as if I load both my van and my trailer to the maximum height I fell happy about (and can lift shovels too easily) then I get about 800Kg and it's a long-wheelbase van (LDV minibus cmaper conversion, but the conversion is pretty skinny) and the trailer is 8ftx4ftx16"....

chrisc

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal