Allotment Stuff > Allotment Movement

Newbie retention

<< < (3/3)

simon404:
I wish I new the answer to this one, having seen people come and go at our site. On the whole,people who are prepared to listen to advice do best, others seem to think that gardening knowledge must somehow be in the bones and that they can just make it up as they go along. Perhaps the only answer is for councils to pay someone to teach newcomers. Or perhaps allotments should be more expensive(£100 a year?) so then people might make more of an effort?

gavin:
A bit tongue in cheek - but I know what kept us going through the first months of hacking away a jungle;  every couple of weeks somebody from another plot would share some of whatever they were harvesting :) :) :). 

Didn't dare give up after all that generosity!!!!!!!

All best - Gavin

alotalot:
This idea depends on having a mower available for newbies to use. Suggest they have a large part of their plot put down to grass, it's easy to maintain and keep looking good and nice to sunbathe on. Whenever more growing space is needed they can just dig another bed.

wardy:
I'm doing just that lotalot.  Massive weedy allotment so strimmed it down then put the petrol mower over it.  It's a bit humpy and bumpy (old brassicas stumps and stuff) but it looked really good - just like a great big scruffy lawn. Only cut one bed out to start with, have some bits under sheet mulch and will cut another one when my back gets better.  It makes the job seem more manageable rather than trying to do loads at once.  Every weekend my OH and I went and did a bit of work we would do a bit of sunbathing and eating and drinking too (had a couple of barbies)  Great fun

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version