Allotment Stuff > Allotment Movement

Newbie retention

<< < (2/3) > >>

Roy Bham UK:

--- Quote from: lancelotment on February 14, 2005, 18:18:06 ---Sarah,

I agree with Ken entirely.  No new starter should be given a plot that is unworkable.  The council should have an obligation to clear the plot first and hand over a plot suitable for cultivation.  They wouldn't give a football team 6 lengths of wood and tell them to make their own goalposts, cut their own grass and mark out their own pitch!  Why should an allotment holder be expected to work on something that resembles a tropical rain forest.  Could anything (apart from vandalism) be more disheartening? Lance

--- End quote ---

Couldn't agree more ;D

liza:
I agree with Ken entirely.  No new starter should be given a plot that is unworkable.  The council should have an obligation to clear the plot first and hand over a plot suitable for cultivation.  They wouldn't give a football team 6 lengths of wood and tell them to make their own goalposts, cut their own grass and mark out their own pitch!  Why should an allotment holder be expected to work on something that resembles a tropical rain forest.  Could anything (apart from vandalism) be more disheartening?

Unfortunately , a lot of councils do just that.......I took one over in October 2003, and despite promises from the council to remove the old iron, plastic etc from my lottie, I still have an eight foot wide strip at the bottom of my allotment waiting to be cleared.  I can't even burn any of it because its against the rules!  Everytine I fone up I get " Oh! did we say we'd do it?" or  " Are you sure we said that?" or......"Its the contractors.........they are supposed to have been round!"
Whatever it is, I would love to pay a reduced rent for the land I've been unable to use, but I'm afraid I might get put off altogether if I got that militant.
Liza

Roy Bham UK:

--- Quote from: liza on February 21, 2005, 19:15:32 ---Unfortunately , a lot of councils do just that.......I took one over in October 2003, and despite promises from the council to remove the old iron, plastic etc from my lottie, I still have an eight foot wide strip at the bottom of my allotment waiting to be cleared.  I can't even burn any of it because its against the rules!  Everytine I fone up I get " Oh! did we say we'd do it?" or  " Are you sure we said that?" or......"Its the contractors.........they are supposed to have been round!"
Whatever it is, I would love to pay a reduced rent for the land I've been unable to use, but I'm afraid I might get put off altogether if I got that militant.
Liza

--- End quote ---

I said it before, I'll say it again, write a polite letter to your local MP explaining the problems you have been having with the council. >:(
With an election coming soon they will act, so get writing this side of the election date and what em move. 8) ;D They need your vote ;)

Granny_Smith:
Sarah,
Our plots are on land owned by the local parish council. When you take on a plot, they plough it for you and don't ask for rent until the following year ! We have water on tap and can put up sheds. There's car parking and picnic tables and a lovely bunch of 'locals' from the village who all keep an eye out for each others plots. We have a shop and recycling area. Any 'newbies' are always made to feel welcome and given endless advice and support. I wonder why there aren't any plots free at the moment?
I think that the feeling that you belong there is an important factor in keeping people interrested - if the neighbours are friendly then no-one wants to move on. Unfortunately, people are people and can be unpredictable.

wardy:
I think most allotments are the same.  They are overgrown and neglected and if you want one you have to clear and dispose of the rubbish yourself.  It does put people off obviously or there would be no derelict allotments.   Some allotments have very good associations and will do the work themselves in order to attract and retain newbies.  It seems a perfect job for probationers as they would be putting something back into the community but if you suggest it you would be told that they don't do demeaning work.  We found that when our community organised a litter pick the probation service said they would help but didn't as it was too cold.  The primary school children turned up though with bright smiling faces.  Also most parish councils who own allotments don't care about them and would rather sell them off as building land or just let folk use them to dump their rubbish.   :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version