Author Topic: GSD Itching  (Read 2449 times)

pntalbot

• Half Acre
GSD Itching
« on: July 23, 2010, 09:27:42 »
We  have  a GSD pregnant dog-- 5yrs  old  and  only  in Summer Months seems  to  Itch quite a lot. She is brushed daily, given a small amount  of Yumega Plus Oil in her food, Stronghold applied to her coat, ocassional Puriton tablet given.Her bed is washed regulary & sprayed with Johnson Flea spray, even though we have never seen any Fleas. If we take her to the Vet, they give her a Anti Histamine injection, this seems to do the trick, but only for 2wks.
Is there anybody out there, who has similiar problems, if so what do they use or do.

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
Re: GSD Itching
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 10:13:11 »
We had major skin problems with one of our dogs and the only thing that cured it was Frontline spray! The johsons stuff is not worth the money!!!!!
We had £400 of skin scrapes done ect and found just one flea bit would trigger it !
It could even be fox mange which would need ivermectin injections to clear, your vet should have done that but wait until the pups are weaned not before you do anything as it will transfer in the milk.

pntalbot

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 10:45:45 »
Thanks Dawn,  have No Pups and been using Stronghold Pipette, which is better than Frontline, but Thanks for your Advice.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 11:36:30 »
You say she is brushed daily. Do you get right in there with a wide toothed comb? I found with my boy I could get enough of his undercoat out to stuff a matress in the Summer. If it was left he would scratch continuously.
Smile, it confuses people.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 11:56:23 »
You know, I would be more inclined to think he has a seasonal allergy, it might be food or environmental and they are often only troublesome in the summer so everyone immediately thinks of fleas.Constant scratching can affect the outer skin layers and form a waxy surface, the more he scratches the worse it gets and in fact can set up a secondary problem from the damaged areas.

I would presume you have had your dog tested for allergies but if not have a think about it.

The other thing, if it is enviromental, where does your dog lay down in the summer that many be different to the winter..eg grass..grass is a common trigger for allergies and if herbicide ia applied another problem.

I agee that just 1 flea is enough to start him scratching as the saliva from the flea is another common trigger, but you might want to put aside the flea theory for a while and think allergies.

Your vet should be able to look into this..but often fleas are presumed to be the culprit and it goes no further especially as it seems to be seasonal.

Just a thought, perhaps do some googling, I feel sure you may find some info on seasonal allergies and what can cause them.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

pntalbot

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 12:33:38 »
Hi  Emaggie & Jannine---Thanks for comments. Always used a Wire brush  daily, that  normally gives me half a handful of Fur, but I will buy a Comb and see if that makes any difference. Jannine I will Google  for  seasonal Allergies.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 12:52:38 »
My black labrador starting itching and she was covered in lumps bumps where she had scratched her tummy so badly - she used to lie down frog like with back legs stretching backwards and drag herself along on the carpet to itch herself!

I took her to the vets they did the injection and I gave her anti histamine tablets and it would get a bit better and then was back to scratching etc again.

I used aloe vera from Julian Graves it (pure 100% aloe vera) Holland & Barrett do it and it costs about £4.  I plastered her tum with it and took her out as soon as I had done it because it would feel strange to her (a bit sticky and cool) but the stuff sorted her out - she was immediately less scratchy and much happier.

It is meant to be anti itch, anti insect, anti inflammatory etc so it is pretty safe to use and with mine had an immediate and lasting effect.  The following year at about the same time she started "the dreaded itch" so I immediately slapped on some aloe and it stopped it before it started to get bad.  Worth a try - but make sure that it is 100% aloe and has no additives like lanoline or anything.

Good luck!

Old Bird

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal