Author Topic: Ying Yang Dwarf French Beans  (Read 2491 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Ying Yang Dwarf French Beans
« on: July 21, 2010, 17:19:08 »
I got some of these in a swap  8) and having been away the beans are coming on a treat  ;D  But my question is when do you pick them / how do you eat them. What I'm trying to ask is are they better for a storing dried bean or eaten whole?

Thanks 1066  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Ying Yang Dwarf French Beans
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 17:23:23 »
You can use them as a green bean or let them dry.. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 17:26:05 »
thanks I think I will let them dry then, as I have already christened this week as National Bean Week, all based on what we are eating from the allotment this week  ::)  ;D

thanks again  :)

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 23:38:33 »
Don't forget there is a third way - pick mature or slightly earlier and shell them before they dry.

You can use them straight away in a stew or freeze them as they are - they taste better/more tender than rehydrated dried beans.

The brown bicolour bean is one of the best for this, and the Yin Yang looks very similar - worth a try.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 06:11:45 »
There is a fourth way too, drill a tiny hole through them and use them as beads, you will be amazed how many compliments you get !! XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 16:02:58 »
I'm loving the 3rd and 4th ways!!!
And as I like fresh Borlotti, I'll give some a go next week  :)
I really seem to have done well with the dwarf beans this year - in fact I'm giving bunches away, freezing them, and eating them with most meals  :)

The 5th way - save some for swapping next year  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal