Author Topic: Big new plot available in Isleworth  (Read 1855 times)

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
Big new plot available in Isleworth
« on: July 20, 2010, 22:33:09 »
aka a Community Gardening Club. 

Thanks to a grant from BAA, we are creating a gardening club from two unused plots.  The digger has been in and the rats evicted, now we need members to help turn to bare soil in to a productive community growing space.

We have 60+ people on the waiting list and if we continue to re-let just one half plot a year, that means that people at the bottom of the list are unlikely to get a plot in this lifetime.

I see the idea of community gardening clubs to be the way forward - for as long as GYO remains as popular as it is.

We gave people on the waiting list first refusal and only 3 took up the offer; haven't decided what message the others are sending but we are pressing on undaunted (but a bit sad)

We have a membership application form - if you are interested go to www.parkroadallotments.org.uk and click on Join Now
See you there ;D

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
Re: Big new plot available in Isleworth
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 22:39:09 »
I should point that the main clearance took place last October, so no wildlife was harmed or dispossessed (apart from the rats)

Tell me honestly - what do you think of this idea?  Am I barking up the wrong tree?, should I mind my own business and stay on my own plot?

I am beginning to wonder.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 23:13:44 »
i think its a great idea,it not only is going to enable you to use disused land,but will give those on the waiting list a chance to have a go
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 23:35:47 »
Like you SMP I would have been delighted to have got the grant and have two extra plots turned into a community garden but very disheartened that only 3 people on the waiting list took the offer up.

How many people were you hoping to take up the offer?  How many would be too many?  I only ask although I don't know how big the two plots are but maybe one of them you could split into small plots and let them separately then be left with the one plot for the community garden.

I wish you luck with the project and love your website but if it was me and not many people seemed interested in the community garden I'd get my thinking cap on and see if there was a more viable way to make the two plots work.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 06:20:31 »
I'm not sure if I understand this correctly, but is the idea that members share the work and whatever is grown is for any of them to pick?  If so, this could be what is stopping people from taking up the offer.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 07:40:40 »
Although your motives may be good. It appears that the majority of folks on the waiting list do not want a community garden and are prepared to wait for an allotment that they don't have to share.
I read on here yesterday about an allotment site that was letting out a couple of raised beds for people to work. This may have been a better option for you. Then folks would have their own little space to call their own.

The point I made about the raised beds is in BASICS....This plot is being used
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 07:43:37 by shirlton »
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal