Author Topic: Yellow Courgettes - When do I pick them?  (Read 9582 times)

rikimuk

Yellow Courgettes - When do I pick them?
« on: July 14, 2010, 10:50:58 »
This is the first year I have tried growing anything. I have a courgette plant in a pot that is growing really well and has one yellow (well 2 but ones tiny) courgette thats quite round growing on it. How big does it need to get before I harvest it?

On a seperate note my other courgette plant doesnt seem to be growing at all although it does have two flowers on it. Is this one dying?

Lindsay

Stevens706

• Acre
Re: Yellow Courgettes - When do I pick them?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 11:25:13 »
I grew the yellow round ones last year and aimed to pick when they were about hockey ball size

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 11:34:59 »
You can pick them very tiny if you want to,they are so good when very small, sometimes I would take part of the stalk , about 3 inches when the squash was about 2 1/2 then slice down the the squash and straight down through  stalk splitting into it two as you go , then cook them like that,stalk and all. I like them Tempura battered but you can do it anyway you want even raw with a dip at that age. The more you pick them the more they grow so picking some very tiny ones increases your yeild over all.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 18:42:15 »
I get impatient and eat the first courgettes very small.  Delicious.  I also think that when the plant is still quite small it is not ready to produce a bigger one.  Mind are producing better ones now I have given them a good layer of mulch to keep the roots moist.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 19:01:51 by Digeroo »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 18:57:50 »
I only ever eat them very tiny XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 21:06:59 »
From having them for several years. Just because I got a lot of seed, then some one else grew some and did a swap with my green ones for a change.

I honestly do not think there is any difference (other than the colour of the skin)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 08:06:00 »
Oh I can't agree with that, there are so many different flavours and textures,, that really surprises me. XX Jeannine

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 15:19:04 »
just picked our first yellow pattypan  ;D

rikimuk

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 09:26:52 »
ok how do i add a photo on here? I have just picked my first courgette yay

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal