Author Topic: Can we grow tobacco..?  (Read 3743 times)

wraith

• Not So New ...
Can we grow tobacco..?
« on: July 14, 2010, 01:14:45 »
Was talking to a fellow lottie owner who said that he was thinking about trying to grow tobacco...? There is nothing in our tenancies that forbid it and out of curiosity more than a urge to grow some as well I was wondering....?

1) Legally (Customs & Excise) would we be allowed to grow it..?

2) Would we have to pay duty on it..?

Our tenancies permit us to, "sell excess produce as long as its a 'not-for-profit' sale and as long as the proceeds only cover the cost of cultivation and maintaining the plot..." Basically saying we can break even and recoup the costs of fertilisers, seeds, rental, etc but not make a viable profit from it...

Hence:

3) As long as the tobacco is fresh and not dried out ready to use, could he sell some to cover his seeds, manure, time, labour, etc, etc..?

As said, the idea dont appeal to me as the whole point was to eat healthily from the plot not smoke ourselves to death...lol

But the "One over on the state, beat the taxman" devil in me does wonder if there is any law to prevent him growing his own and selling the excess to cover his costs..?

wraith
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 01:18:39 by wraith »
Non Timetis Messor

• Half Acre
Re: Can we grow tobacco..?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 01:29:22 »

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 13:24:16 »
So if I understood the other thread you can grow it for your own use but not sell it (which makes sense to mean and probably applies to alcohol as well, as they are controlled substances.) ;-) 
That would make the people on my allotment site keel over I expect!!!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 13:36:59 »
You might send a PM to Baccy Man who as I recall grows it.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 14:50:05 »
tobacco grows well and easily in the UK - there are two basic types - N.tabacum and N.rusticana - Chilterns seeds sell them. The growing bit is easy but the drying/curing bit is somewhat harder. I grew some a few years back, just to see and although we certainly smoked it, it was a bit (cough, cough) rough!

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 15:42:30 »
It does grow in the UK-I grew it many, many years ago.

I stopped for two reasons.

1-I could never persuade some dusky maiden to roll it between her thighs

2-Nicotine is rather poisonous but I go back to when it was used as a spray. And I mean the late 70s not Victorian days

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 16:16:55 »
You couldn't make it up!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal