Author Topic: Are these sweet potato plants?  (Read 1504 times)

mpdjulie

• Acre
Are these sweet potato plants?
« on: July 10, 2010, 10:51:33 »
I planted 4 sweet potatoes - kindly donated by Debster - at least 4 weeks ago, I can't remember the date and nothing has come up yet.  Last night I noticed a little plant where I planted one of them.  Can anyone tell me if this is a sweet potato plant?  Sorry for the poor quality of the pic as my mobile is crap at taking closeups as it doesn't have a zoom on it!!  If needs be I can take some more this evening with my pentax and post tomorrow.
Julie

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Are these sweet potato plants?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 20:32:32 »
possibly, julie..I'll take some pics of mine tomorrow and we'll compare notes  ;D

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 22:31:21 »
possibly, julie..I'll take some pics of mine tomorrow and we'll compare notes  ;D
I showed them to my husband tonight and straight away he pulled it said "That's a weed", and it was.  Oh well.  Do you know how long they take to sprout through the ground?  I planted them about 8" deep at the beginning of June.
Julie

:(

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 23:32:06 »
What did you actually plant? With sweet potatoes you plant a slip which is a rooted shoot so theres nothing to 'come up', it just keeps on growing into a vine. Did you plant whole sweet potatoes?

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 23:41:05 »
I was sent a whole potato which had stems and leaves growing from it.  I was told to split it with a stem to each piece and then plant it like a spud.

:(

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 01:44:58 »
Ive never heard of it being done that way before.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 09:09:33 »
I planted 2 slips and then the rest of the s.p with small slips attached, thing is, I planted them all so they were showing, I feel you may have planted them too deep, like a potato, Julie..they're not really potatoes, the tubers grow like swellings on the roots of the plants but the slips need to be above ground  :-\

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 10:10:32 »
Oh well, it looks like I have killed what I planted.  Maybe I'll try again next year and get it right!! Thanks for all your replies.
Julie

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 16:56:31 »
Here you go, Julie..handy for next time  :)

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 17:31:20 »
Here you go, Julie..handy for next time  :)
Thanks Manics

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal