Author Topic: calling all knitters  (Read 6143 times)

detailista

• Half Acre
Re: calling all knitters
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2010, 16:27:25 »
www.lionbrand.com has a huge selection of knitting and crochet patterns and they do an on screen row counter that moves down the page as you do and saves where you're up to!  I've got about 10 sock patterns from here and found them spot on, they have lots of baby stuff too. 

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2010, 23:25:17 »
Fair isle vests is what my Mum called them PH, I do those too now and again.John likes cardis best though. Good place for pure wool, I buy all my 1 ply from there is Jamiesons in the Shetland isles, they have some great wool and designs.

You will see my shawls and ropes there, I have all of there patterns.

I will find you a link 
XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2010, 13:22:04 »
I have only just found this thread, well I spotted it earlier but had to go out so have come back to it now.  I love knitting and have recently found and bought wool from here.....

http://kempswoolshop.com/home.aspx

some of it is very good value, and the patterns too, and they must pack up your order the same day when they can as it comes very quickly.

This is a useful site too if it hasn't been mentioned before....

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEff10/patterns.php

this is the current issue of an online magazine but you can look at all the back issues too, there are some lovely patterns :)

Purple Heather - my daughter works at an after school club and she teaches the children to knit etc and many of them are keen to try, I have also seen a whole class of year 6 children knitting and both my sons had a go at school and have done it at home, cross stitch too, if fact I helped in a yr 6 class where they were all making mini samplers in cross stitch - they designed them first, most of the boys did football motifs!

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2010, 17:56:37 »
well have finished my second chunky jumper and a baby one just finishing my nieces bolero using a circular needle for the first time quite like it lol

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2010, 21:25:35 »
Feeling very proud of the cardigan that I finished yesterday for me boy, although looking at Jeannine's beautiful pictures it doesn't really compare  ;D

Mum taught me to knit years ago, but never really got on with it. Since I got pregnant mum's been knitting for England & I felt a bit left out so thought I'd have a go. Managed a very simple blanket - great apart from the fact that I got carried away and cast on about twice as many stitches as I needed and it's rather wide! Will work fine folded in half  ::)

Cardigan's fairly simple, and I'm now working on a clanger (small stuffed toy if anyone's like my mum and doesn't know what a clanger is!). Going fine so far but working on very small needles and now my hands are killing me!

How much time are you spending knitting debster? You seem to be churning stuff out!

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2010, 09:48:22 »
only evenings or the odd wet miserable day some was done when i was away in a caravan for a week lots of the stuff is either very simple or very small i am using the time i used to waste on the internet lol

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2010, 12:26:41 »
Im doing a baby cardi for my good friends new offspring. Its a lovely pale mint green. I do like to get away from the normal pinks and blues  :D

Next thing will be a pretty knitted dress........for the cooler weather of autumn.......its blinking cold today!!
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2010, 16:36:50 »
i love mint green, will the dress be for you star? how long will that take you to make?

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2010, 11:03:40 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D........I dont think I would live long enough to knit my own dress!!! It would  need to be rather large  ;D. No its for the baby, quicker to do and takes much less wool  ;) ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2010, 11:27:05 »
When my youngest was a baby, now 41, a friend knitted a complete outfit for her. There was a dress, a jacket, bonnet, mittens & bootees. She looked adorable & in the colder weather I just added tights. It lasted a long time as she didn't walk until she 21 months old.
Those were the days ;).

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2010, 09:40:17 »
Hello knitters! Some while ago I found a really smashing place for free knitting patterns - there must be thousands - from baby stuff to bedspreads and everything in between! I've made lots of stuff from their patterns. Have a look! It's http://www/knittingpatterncentral.com.

Also, really useful, is http://www.knittingonthenet.com. This is a library of knitting stitches - loads of different stitches, all illustrated.  Basic plain and purl; reversible patterns; eyelets and lace; cables; ribs; multi-colour; etc. etc. It tells you the number of stitches needed for each pattern repeat so you can easily use a new stitch to change any old pattern. It's great.

Hope you find them useful. x

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2010, 17:08:15 »
thanks for those sites grandma.
i am currently having a try at knitting socks using 4 needles and an on site interactive pattern which is brilliant almost up to my first heel which will be the real test.
Star with regards to a knitted dress when my sister was about 14 my nan gave her two knitted dresses to unpick and use the wool for a huge blanket she was crocheting this she did and to her horror about six months later the dresses became the height of fashion
typical
Debs

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal