Author Topic: calling all knitters  (Read 6145 times)

debster

• Hectare
calling all knitters
« on: July 10, 2010, 19:49:52 »
having seen a few threads on here in the past i know there are plenty of you here somewhere. having had a  week off i have taken up knitting again something i havent done since my daughter was a baby (she is now 21) i have to admit to feeling a little embarrassed walking into the wool shop only to be told it is now very in to knit
well i have almost finished my first item a chunky jumper for me and im really pleased with it and want to keep it up
 now im not the most competent so am looking for somewhere i can get some advice when i need it this is where you guys hopefully come in.
next project are a couple of baby things as there is always someone pregnant where i work lol
i would seriously at some time like to learn how to do cable if anyone can explain that it would be great
regards
debbie and thanks in advance

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: calling all knitters
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 19:59:14 »
Hi, I am a knitter, and mostly do just baby things these days so here to help if I can XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Tatty

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 20:10:43 »
Hi, I am a knitter too - mostly socks at the moment.

You tube is good for videos of techniques.

Here www.ravelry.com is fab for patterns - loads of free ones

'Palindrone' (I think its called) is a fab cable scarf - great way to introduce yourself to cabling

Gina

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 20:40:25 »

Hi, I am a knitter too - mostly socks at the moment.

'Palindrone' (I think its called) is a fab cable scarf - great way to introduce yourself to cabling

Gina
Just googled the Palindrone scarf pattern.  It looks great.  I think sewing the ends in would take time.   I wonder what it would look like without breaking off to change colour.

Tatty

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 20:46:17 »
I made one in one colour, also have done one in one of the yarns that are different shades - you get the changing colours but not the ends to thread in!

Here is one in a solid colour

http://knittingbytheocean.blogspot.com/2010/01/palidrone-scarf.html

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 21:02:55 »
Thanks for reply.  I use to do a lot of knitting of all kinds, but I still can't work out how the cable looks the same on the reverse side.  I am sure when I did cable pullovers for my sons years ago it looked different on the reverse.
Sorry tatty if we have butted in.  Thanks for starting the thread.
Must close now.  Son needs computer.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 12:48:57 »
id like to keep the thread going for advice for beginners like me and recommendations for web sites and patterns etc and maybe even showing finished works how does that sound to everybody?

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 13:10:18 »
Hi,
My oh Mrs landimad is part of the following knitting forum and has found this a great help.
http://www.knittingforums.org.uk/
She is known as winniewotknot on this site.
She has found this a great help in doing things like knitting and crochet in all areas.
try this out and see if it knits or pearls you into doing other projects.
By the way I have no need for insulation in this house as she has all the wool stored in the attic.  ;D ;D ;D
Thus how we live can help us save money as well as find the inspiration to help others.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 13:27:12 »
By the way I have no need for insulation in this house as she has all the wool stored in the attic.  ;D ;D ;D

Tell me about it landimad, I could always buy yarn faster than I could knit/crochet. ;D

I think I shall have to go into competition with Methusela, age wise, to get it all used up.

Back in 1990 went over to France for a holiday.  The customs chap was sure we were trying to smuggle something under the boot full of Phildar yarns. ;D ;D

My patterns are all a bit old fashioned now, but if I can help, please ask.

valmarg

landimad

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 13:42:52 »
Please do not mention the patterns as this will get the OH looking for more. ;D
She has about a small book shelf full of various types of patterns and books of what to knit and sew.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 14:23:59 »
I used to love knitting & sewing. When my two eldest girls were little I used to make all their clothes a season in advance, except coats of course. Those were the days.

landimad

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 14:27:24 »
You saying that Jan,
My OH has taught the three girls to sew, knit and crochet to end they have all sat and enjoyed this past time for quite a while now. I hope they teach the same to their offspring.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 15:29:36 »
If you like quirky stuff, try to get hold of Alan Dart's Noah's Ark  - I knitted a load of these while my mum was in hospital last year, ended up doing loads of spare animals for the nurses.......

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 18:50:14 »
I have almost all of Alan Darts patterns can share if anyone wants,

I knit baby clothes or various projects .

For  myself I knit minature clothes for 6 inch baby dolls from the 50's that I collect.

I also do a lot of 1ply Shetland wool knitting doing Christening shawls and have tons of patterns for these if anyone needs.

Bedlow is Christening shawl and matching christening gown, close up is edge of shawl

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 19:50:23 »
wow Jeannine they are beautiful, so much work must go into them i could never do anything like that you are so very talented

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 20:13:13 »
id like to keep the thread going for advice for beginners like me and recommendations for web sites and patterns etc and maybe even showing finished works how does that sound to everybody?

I'd second the previous recommendation for Ravelry.

A couple of easy and free cable patterns are the Manitou Passage scarf and Star crossed slouchy beret. (You'll need an account to see the scarf, but a few images of the hat/beret are available to non-members).

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 20:24:54 »
I have at the moment tucked away in the wardrobe where I can't see it a very large hand knitted cardigan in chunky wool, It would fit a person of at least 20 stone, I knitted it early this year. The wool was expensive and it probably cost nearly £30. I am going onto some of the websites that have been mentioned as I plan to undo it and start again in a size 12. This will be one of my projects for winter. I used to knit all the time and really can't understand what went wrong.
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 20:31:01 »
Oooooh sholls, I love the beret. I'm going to have a bash. I love knitting with a passion but For some reason nothing ever fits. :-[. Maybe it's 'cos I'm a left hander, although I do try to knit right handed as it's easier to follow the pattern generally.
Smile, it confuses people.

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 22:08:14 »
If you like quirky stuff, try to get hold of Alan Dart's Noah's Ark  - I knitted a load of these while my mum was in hospital last year, ended up doing loads of spare animals for the nurses.......

I have that pattern i can email to anyone who wants it...?

Ravelry is fantastic (i'm Knitty-e on there if anyone wants me!) loads of great patterns, forums etc.

and I used Youtube to teach me how to knit and always use it and www.knittinghelp.com when i get stuck/want to learn anything new

I taught myself (or you tube did) 2 years ago, everyone i know thought i was mad but soon realised there's nothing wrong with being young and knitting!

I knit clothes for my 2 boys (26 months and 10 months) then once they've both grown out of them i unravel them and use the wool for something new lol!

Just finished a jumper for the youngest's birthday in a couple of months and i'm almost finished my first lace scarf for my mother's christmas!

oh and i recently got 16 balls of norweigan wool and wool/cotton blends  and another bag full of sirdar pure cotton and some alpaca wool all for free !! bargin! now just got to figure out what to make....

First time allotment holder, second time mum.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 22:25:28 »
My problem is that I love knitting/crocheting, but I hate sewing.

Once I've knit the various parts of the garment, I have to sew them together. ??? ???

I knit/crochet away to my hearts content, and then every so often I bite the bullet and sew up the results.

I do eventually end up with wearable garments. ;D ;D

vgalmarg

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal