Author Topic: Mint question  (Read 769 times)

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Mint question
« on: July 10, 2010, 16:09:45 »
I want to plant some fresh mint in my garden as I use it a lot but how would I stop it escaping.

I acquired an old black plastic bucket from the local florist and wondered if I bury the bucket except for the top inch or so and plant the mint inside, will it keep it contained.

If it does get out it's likely to head towards my neighbour's immaculate garden and over run rest of my plants.

All suggestions welcomed

CC

"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

OberonUK

• Quarter Acre
Re: Mint question
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 16:15:38 »
The safest thing is to grow the mint just in a tub and not in the ground at all - that's about the only way I know to guarantee containment

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 19:00:09 »
Mint is by far, best contained.

If you bury the bucket do not be surpised to find that the mint starts to escape through the holes you made in the container. It spreads by the roots.

Better keep a big container on top. As a plant, it can last for years, an attractive pot is suitable. Cut it hard back in Late May early June and either make tons of mint sauce  or compost it. Then use the new shoots.

I take a cutting and root it in water as soon as mint appears. Then pot it up for use during the short period between cutting it hard back and  new growth. I always manage to find some one grateful for a 'mint cutting' in July when the new spuds are ready.

Mint is nearly as bad Horseraddish and Knitbone. They are all difficult to destroy and will take over.

STHLMgreen

• Half Acre
    • grow things
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 19:11:46 »
In our small herb plot at our house (closer than the allotment for quick picking before meals) the parsley has overshadowed the mint and it hardly grew. At the allotment the lemon balm took it over. Good thing I put some in a container too al I use a lot or I wouldn't have any. Though last year it went wild.

urban gardening: my humble beginnings
http://growthings.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal