Author Topic: BNS question.  (Read 1072 times)

pookienoodle

• Half Acre
BNS question.
« on: July 08, 2010, 21:58:19 »
I have planted a couple of butternut squash hunter plants.
they are doing really well but I am surprised at the amount of squash on each plant.
there are at least 10 on one plant 8 on another,is this too many?will they do o.k or should I pick a few off.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
Re: BNS question.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 23:41:09 »
Ignore them.They will look after them selves

If the weather is right, come autumn, before the frost you will get plenty.

They are not like tomatoes where you pick off bits, They are self organsing. Frustrating though it may be..................Leave them alone unless theyu are dry and if they are water them.

NUFF SED?

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 23:52:41 »
ALL I know and can say is that we welcome all new members and offer them evry assistance with their new plot

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 00:16:57 »
Hi pookienoodle  :) last year I only grew one butternut squash plant but got 20 great small/medium sized squash from it so I reckon its best to let them all grow unless you want really big squash.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 00:42:32 »
Hi Pookie, the expected  standard amount for your squash is 4 or 5, if you have more you are doing very well, are they all pollinated and growing or still in the immature stage?

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 09:59:36 »
Wow!! I have planted a few of these too! I noticed that I have at least 2 fruit starting... I did not know that they could be so prolific. I had better continue mulching with compost and watering!!!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

pookienoodle

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 11:22:45 »
Hi Pookie, the expected  standard amount for your squash is 4 or 5, if you have more you are doing very well, are they all pollinated and growing or still in the immature stage?

XX Jeannine
Hi Jeannine,
most are just past the pollination stage and have started to grow on.
pollination on our site seems to be very good as we seem to have loads of bees(I think there maybe hives nearby) and it is not too windy.
I also never knew they could be so prolific.
I think you may have another member for "Jeannines squash fanatics" club. ;D

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 11:28:43 »
I had a volunteer BNS last year. I cut some of the smaller fruits off, but left about 8 or so. All of them developed. The largest weighed about 3lbs. Most were about 1-2lbs, some smaller. I used the small ones I cut off like courgettes. I watered it now and then and gave it a bit of a feed.

I was by far the best squash I've ever grown, and I didn't even grow it!
gone to pot :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal