Author Topic: Tomato and cucumber info needed  (Read 1326 times)

mpdjulie

• Acre
Tomato and cucumber info needed
« on: July 22, 2010, 15:58:37 »
I have tried to find information on millefleur and blaby special tomatoes but with no joy so can anyone tell me:
1.   Whether they are cordon or bush?
2.   What colour are they when ripe?
3.   What are their culinary uses?
4.   Can they be grown outside or in a greenhouse?

Also, white wonder cucumber:
1.   Do I have to pinch out any flowers (male)?
2.   Are they all female?
3.   Are they greenhouse or outside?

Julie

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Tomato and cucumber info needed
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 16:51:56 »
Blaby and millefleur are cordon, blaby is standard red tomato that makes good size fruit medium to large but it is not beefsteak..more like salad type but with nice thickeness to the flesh.
Blaby is greenhouse variety...and it makes 6-8 fruits per truss in clusters..when happy it is very heavy cropper.
You'll find millefleurs from here...http://www.realseeds.co.uk/centitomatoes.html

onionsquash

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 17:06:42 »
White Wonder is an old open pollinated outdoor variety. As I remember you just leave it to its own devices and it produces numbers of nobbly cream fruits, which go yellow and pippy if you leave them too long. Interesting and unusual, but not as easy to manage as the modern varieties. Taste is a matter of opinion, but good if you pick at the right stage.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 17:16:47 »
As said Blaby is a standard red cordon-it`s nice so a `thank you` to whoever originally sent me the seeds.

amphibian

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 20:48:30 »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 21:41:11 »
Millefleur is a centiflor type of tomato and although it is an indeterminate, one that you would usually prune to a cordon, the centiflor is best allowed to grow more naturally as  each truss has dozens of small 1/2 -3/4 inch tomatoes on it. I would personally not prune this one apart from possible height and I would cage it. There seems to be some controversy as to how best to handle the centifloras , most folks that have the space to grow them let them grow naturally.

Blaby's has been well answered.

Below are some pictures from my stash.  You can see from the picture of the millefleur truss just how prolific it is. I adore this tomato.

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 21:43:34 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal