Author Topic: Winter is over?  (Read 1963 times)

john_miller

• Hectare
Winter is over?
« on: December 10, 2004, 00:22:12 »
Enduring the severe winters here I have always paid attention to when the earliest sunsets and latest sunrises occur every year. About two years ago a question relating to this was posted on the beeb boards leading me to believe that some in the U.K. may be interested. Ever since I found out that these dates do not coincide with the solstice I have taken the transitions, especially for earliest sunsets (as they occur so early), as signs that winter is already retreating before it has even got here, horticulturally speaking. Our mild fall this year has even diminished it's importance in my mind but I still thought I would check. Tonight Saxton's River, Vt., had it's earliest sunset but we will have to wait until roughly January 4th for our latest sunrise.
If anyone is interested in finding out the dates in their home town for these events visiting
  http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear_draft.html
and entering some simple co-ordinates will provide approximate dates. For Nottingham, U.K., where my brother lives, the earliest sunset is about December 12, while the latest sunrise will be around December 30th. These dates will be true for almost the entire country.

Sarah-b

• Acre
Re:Winter is over?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 10:55:56 »
So is this something new? - caused by global warming?
Just wondering...
Sarah

john_miller

• Hectare
Re:Winter is over?
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 15:24:19 »
No, Sarah, rest assured. It's been happening since the earth assumed it's current shape, a flattened globe, about 4 billion years ago.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal