Author Topic: Outgrown my garden veg patch  (Read 4674 times)

vicki.m

• Quarter Acre
Outgrown my garden veg patch
« on: July 08, 2010, 13:19:54 »
Hi,

I'm new to this site and as the subject suggests I have outgrown my garden veg patch. It was never really big enough and now my 4 year old wants to grow pumpkins I definitely don't have space.

I have applied for an allotment in Solihull West Midlands at either Jilcot Rd or Lyndon rd. I am aware from the councils website that there are waiting lists for all sites so am prepared for a wait. However I am wondering if anyone on here knows how long the wait is at these particular sites as I'm sure I could get my little boy to understand we need to wait until next year maybe the year after, but if the wait is any longer than this I am planning to dig up some of my lawn for his pumpkins. Obviously it would be better to get a plot as I'd rather there was space at home for the children to play outside.

Can anyone help me out with this information, I have emailed the council but am waiting for a reply.

many thanks

Vicki

and apologies if i have posted in the wrong place.

betula

• Hectare
Re: Outgrown my garden veg patch
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 13:30:50 »
Welcome to the forum....

I would go along to the allotment ,maybe on a sunday morning and start talking to people,the site rep will probably have the information you need. :)

vicki.m

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 13:34:29 »
Is that allowed? I know nothing about how it works, I just know I need more space lol. I'll go up then and get my face known thanks

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 13:37:14 »
Well some allotments have locked gates but most lottie people are friendly and it it is locked just try and grab someone and tell them what info you are after and go from there...........

vicki.m

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 13:59:52 »
Thank you, both the sites I have applied to are locked but if I wait and one and my hubby at the other we are bound to catch someones attention.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 19:49:00 »
If you truly want the pumpkins and no plot you can set a couple of plants at the edge of your lawn and then let the growing foliage ramble over the grass, even if you had to cut a patch of lawn out to plant in it only has to be about 18 inches square. The plant will quite happilly romp across your grass, it won't do any   long lasting harm to your lawn. You can train the pumpkin to go anyway you want it to, probably following the edge of the lawn.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

vicki.m

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 15:52:48 »
I've just got back from the allotments, I met with site rep, it seems that there is only a short waiting list and that it is likely I will have a plot quite soon.  Now I have been and visited I am itching to get started, I think the wait will seem like forever however short it is.

detailista

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 16:00:03 »
I've just got back from the allotments, I met with site rep, it seems that there is only a short waiting list and that it is likely I will have a plot quite soon.  Now I have been and visited I am itching to get started, I think the wait will seem like forever however short it is.
great news!  good to have a little wait so you can think about exactly what you want to grow and to make plans - worth doing 'cos as soon as you have your plot you'll feel like that's too small too! 

vicki.m

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 18:47:52 »
I've been offered a plot, I only had to wait 3 months, I'm very pleased and very lucky. I look forward to asking you all for lots of advice.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 21:30:56 »
Congratulations Vicki & welcome to the site. Quite a good time to get a plot. Have fun'

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 21:35:06 »
nice one vicky! congratulations and look forward to hearing how you are getting on
R x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 09:15:34 »
Excellent News Vicki, make sure you take pictures before you start and put them on here so we can follow your journey.
What size plot do you have?

Neil

vicki.m

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 11:46:16 »
Hi,

I have taken pictures this morning but not sure how to show you all, I'm rubbish with computers.

It is a half plot, about 10 yard by 10 yards, its on a newer part of the site so it has alot of rubble and stones, it's weedy mainly thistles and brambles and a little bit of bindweed (which I have been fighting in the garden for years so know what I'm up against)  but no couch grass or mares tail that I could see, so I'm grateful for that.

Vicki

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 14:33:05 »
Congratulations on the plot, and well done for no Couch Grass  ;D

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 09:27:56 »
Congratulations on the plot, and well done for no Couch Grass  ;D

Definitely well done and I'm very envious of the whole notion of "no Couch Grass".... it isn't a concept I really understand I must admit :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal