Author Topic: pesky rabbits  (Read 2137 times)

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
pesky rabbits
« on: January 11, 2005, 11:31:09 »
hello all. this is my first post. nice to meet you.

my allotment (of just under a year) is on the edge of town by farmland and suffers from rabbits, rats, mice, deer and sometimes cows, getting in.

I have fence around it which I'm tryying to raise in height whenever I can scavenge an extra bit, but notice a huge rabbit warren in wasteland next to my plot. Any tips on keeping em out ... my mate frank spotted this http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/HarrodSite/search/product/Pest+Control%5FInsect+and+Pest+traps+and+barriers/GPC-610.htm

anyone use it, or know what is in it, or know of a cheaper version of it!!!
I will finish it, one day

DocAlgae

• Not So New ...
Re: pesky rabbits
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 12:25:23 »
Hi Fat Larry,

We've got similar problems at our lottie - rabbits, muntjac, badgers, foxes, mice, birds, etc., etc.  What we've done is erect a rabbit proof fence.  Six foot fence poles every 2 metres or so, one foot buried in ground.  Four foot high chicken wire (small gauge), one foot folded under in the direction of "attack", then turf laid on top (handy for us as we're in the process of de-turfing our beds and have tons of the stuff).  Straining wire about a foot about the chicken wire to discourage the deer.  Bloody hard work, but it has done the trick (so far!).  I think your best bet would be to do a proper fence...

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
Re: pesky rabbits
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 14:39:53 »
We've the same problem and all the allotments on the site are fenced. I did the same as the Doc -although not to such a high standard -any old poles at a reasonably tight spacing are OK (at least after 1 year) and although my top-wire is taut I haven't used straining bolts due to the closeness of the poles.

Try
http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/rds/publications/technical/TAN_16.pdf
for the official word.

The BTCVS site is also good.

Jeremy

One tip is supposed to leaving a plank leaning on your fencing from the inside -so if they do get in they can get out again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal