Author Topic: Pumpkins  (Read 779 times)

sazhig

• Half Acre
Pumpkins
« on: July 03, 2010, 23:12:52 »
We're 3 weeks into clearing our new plot....hope to have 2 or 3 beds dug over in the next week or so for my collection of seedlings sitting in pots on my patio...but I have 12  :blink: pumpkin seedlings (Jack O' Lantern) that definitely won't fit in that dug section  ::). I was planning on covering the top section of the plot with plastic and card to stop the weeds growing any more while we dig over the rest....then it occurred to me that maybe I could plant the pumpkins through the cover...anyone done this with any success?

I've never grown pumpkins before anyway so would welcome any pointers  :D

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 23:15:43 »
Yes, you can grow your pumpkins through the covering - I've done it, it works. They will need a bit of watering to get them started off in this dry weather though. They grow dead easy after they've become established.

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 23:20:53 »
Excellent!  :)

I have some rather soggy but well rotted compost I was planning on mixing into the holes before I plant the seedlings...was thinking it might help with the moisture issue....although from what we've dig so far the soil does seem to retain moisture fairly well. The advantages of clay  ;)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 04:39:58 »
Go for it, they will help break up your soil too.. give them as much room as you can, bear in mind the vines can grow up to 30 feet ;D XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal