Author Topic: Watering Can Blues  (Read 2386 times)

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
Re: Watering Can Blues
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2010, 23:22:06 »
I cleaned out my pond today and used a lot of the water/sludge on my garden.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2010, 23:41:36 »
It helps to mulch after watering to keep the moisture in, as a lady on here used to say most frequently. This summer has been the driest in our area for over 80 years (so the weather man said, and I believe him). We have huge cracks in the soil, and I've noticed a real drop in strawberry output this year, although the deeper rooted fruit seem to be doing well so far.

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 06:57:17 »
Any ideas what can be used to mulch?...I've ran out of compost, comfry and grass cuttings now...what else can be used?
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 20:55:58 »
Hi macmac I am down to my last inch of rain water & my blueberries are thirsty  :o so I may be joining you in pinching some from a neighbour tomorrow as it still hasnt rained in my part of Kent  ::)

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2010, 21:03:40 »
We've just had a meter fitted at home in a bid not to bankrupt myself paying the rates. Really, really wishing I'd hung on for a couple of months now!! Supposed to be getting some rain overnight but I'll believe it when I see the butts in the morning.

Trying to dig carrots out at work yesterday and they may as well have been growing in concrete.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2010, 08:08:43 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=ugFd1JdFaE0

I am getting more and more interested in this.

Our open field site has been mown by the county recently and I rake up the "hay" into heaps and apply it where needed.

Of course, as soon as we take serious action to convert an allotment to permaculture and mulching, we will have a very wet summer. But every year recently we have had long periods of drought so it could be worth it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal