Author Topic: How much bio matter do you use?  (Read 2300 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
How much bio matter do you use?
« on: August 11, 2010, 07:52:11 »
I am interested to know how much manure, compost etc etc folks think they need to use.

powerspade

• Hectare
Re: How much bio matter do you use?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 08:02:55 »
I get through the year with about 4 ton but always on the look out for more

BoardStupid

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 08:50:38 »
However much I use, it's never enough  ;)
If it's not on fire it's a software problem

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 10:04:01 »
4 Ton !!!!! :o :o :o
I got a cubic metre this year and thought that was heaven sent!  I also use a bit of home made compost, maybe about 20kg?
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 10:22:19 »
can't give specific weighte but here goes
well rotted horse when we can get it, trying to move away because of amino stuff
a full bin of home made compost , last years that has a squash in at the mo
leaves from last year
shredded paper
grass cuttings
spent mushroom compost,just started getting this, 12 bags so far  ;D
spent compost fromour parsnip and carrot beds 
I may be back ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 10:28:50 »
How much is 4 ton?   Is this all for one allotment?  I think if it more in wheelbarrow loads pr bagfuls.

I have had manure 15 wheelbarrows, recycling compost 10 bags recycled compost (two Large bins about half full) plus green manure.  Also about 10 bags of lawn clippings (not my llawn).

Amazingrotavator(Derby)

• Half Acre
  • My best mate
    • www.mandjderbygardens.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 15:51:51 »
I took delivery of 90 bags of mushroom compost today. loads to dig in and plenty to mulch. Only £70.

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 07:31:20 »
I get at least 4 ton by collecting leaves from the local woodland (start in October finish collecting in March) which is about 120 yds away, kitchen waste (my own and also the neighbours), horse manure (about 10 yds from allotment), shredded paper, cardboard boxes from local shops, I also collect all the grass clippings after the council have mowed the playing field. I am at it all the year round. The compost heap is the engine that drives a allotment and it continuously needs fuel. by the way the 4 ton is at my plot I usually have about another ton in my garden at home. You can never have too much of a good thing.

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 08:50:20 »
I took delivery of 90 bags of mushroom compost today. loads to dig in and plenty to mulch. Only £70.
Where from?  If you don't mind me asking  :)

I'm amazed by these quantities.  Having done a lot of reading over the winter it seems to me you're all using the recommended amount for acres of organic farming.  Is there something more intensive about an allotment that it requires so much more?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 13:51:26 »
I forgot about the cardboard, all cereal, t bag etc boxes get torn up, oh, and t bags  ;D
we're trying not to put mushroom compost on the spud beds, apparently,it's a bit limey for them  ;D

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 15:35:07 »
i have just worked out how much i produce per year  my compost area is 19 ft x7 ft x 4 ft deep and my wormeries are 12 by 7 by three this works out at 784 cubic feet of organic matter when full or  divided by 27  give you 29 cubic yards  so i guess i do 29 cubic yard per yaer  give or take a couple of yards
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

Amazingrotavator(Derby)

• Half Acre
  • My best mate
    • www.mandjderbygardens.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 16:14:20 »
Where from?  If you don't mind me asking  :)

I'm amazed by these quantities.  Having done a lot of reading over the winter it seems to me you're all using the recommended amount for acres of organic farming.  Is there something more intensive about an allotment that it requires so much more?

Derbyshire mushroom company based in Ashbourne.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 23:41:50 »
We were having a truck load of fine bark mulch delivered but I gave up on that after a couple years and now just mulch with pine needles from our yard and shredded branches from our trees and shredded tall ornamental grasses. 

We compost all Fall leaves and some weeds and garbage.  Cardboard and newspaper I use for lasagna gardening and mulch over it with pine needles and dried weeds. As someone said, there isn't enough compost so sometimes I get bags of manure or horse manure from a friend but that's a lot of lifting and brings in strange weeds.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal