Author Topic: This is a plot being used ?  (Read 13274 times)

GRACELAND

• Hectare
This is a plot being used ?
« on: June 29, 2010, 16:57:53 »
its been used for 3 years and is still used

why is it like this
the people are fit and well

i don't belive death is the end

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: This is a plot being used ?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 21:56:50 »
erm,  is it 'cos the site secretary/committee write to folk about lack of cultivation?
You couldn't make it up!

herring8

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 22:33:02 »
erm,  is it 'cos the site secretary/committee write to folk about lack of cultivation?

or because they perhaps don't on your site? if this has been like this for 3 yrs the people running your site need shooting IMO

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 00:23:21 »
There seems to be one on every site and I just wish they would cover the part they cant do.  At least that would stop the weeds spreading. 

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 05:09:54 »
If they have not done it by now they never will.  Somebody needs a kick up the ass and the plot needs a new tenant.  Newbies are given 3 month probation on our site. If the plot is not fully cleared in that time they do not get the tenancy. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Auntie J

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 06:15:48 »
If this is 3 years work kick them off......., there are loads of people who want plots that is a waste.
The secretary needs a  talking too, were's the committee in all this?

Good luck
Auntie

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 07:53:24 »
We have several plot like that on our site. I think the problem is that folks take on more than they can handle. They are keen at the start but when they realise that the weeds grow again and again they give up cultivating but they want to keep what is in their name for as long as possible.
The problem that the secretary has is the protocol that has to be used for getting folks to knuckle down or get off. By the time the letters have been sent out and replied to or ignored the plot looks like that photo at the start of the thread. Then they say that they will try to get it sorted. Hence the whole process starts again. An allotment site in Birmingham has plots available for newbies to work just to see if they like gardening and can cope with the hard work. If by the end of a certain period they prove to be consistent then they wll get aplot if one is available. I think its a good idea and would stop people from taking on plots that they cant keep cultivated
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

misfit

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 08:56:13 »
no need for it to be like that, the committee should do something about it !!

mine was like that but its now cleared, dug over and planted !!  :D

want to borrow a lighter ??  ;) ;D

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 09:11:54 »
people who like the idea of having a lottie and like to tell people that they grow their own more than the desire to do any actual work ( heaven forfend)
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 09:49:33 »
There seems to be one on every site and I just wish they would cover the part they cant do.  At least that would stop the weeds spreading. 
Only ONE!
We have several and letters about lack of cultivation exist but whether they're ever sent out is another matter  >:(
sanity is overated

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 10:30:56 »
I think that with waiting lists people should not be allowed to continue or should have a smaller plot. 

The the weeds can set in very fast.  My allotment neighbour had a month off and it was amazing just how fast the weeds took over.  It has also been a surprise at just how fast he has now managed to get it sorted and there is now only one small bit to do.   

We have a field next to our site and it was full of dandelion clocks and now they are little seedlings with about 3-4 little leaves.  Walking about the site it is amazing just how many people have left thousands of them to grow and then will have a major problem next year.  Hoeing has gone out of fashion.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 10:43:47 »
Heavens and I thought  my few thistles and the horrible bindweed was bad! But even as a newbie with very little time, I have never let my plot get like that! At this time of the year of you can't do that much work, the best idea is hack down the weed, and plant loads of squash, mulching with straw. takes about an hour and after a week or two, the pumpkins will take it all over.
They should be asked to either clear the plot or give it up.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 13:20:43 »
I'd down grade them to half a plot, then possibly a quarter, depending on how they cope with a half.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 13:46:23 »
the plot next to mine is like that. I cultivate just enough of it so the guy won't get chucked off, but i'm never sure if i'm doing the right thing. He knows what he's doing, but he has a difficult time of things. I just worry if and when things change and he could really do with it, it won't be there for him

on the other hand if I was on a waiting list and saw it, i'd be on the phone to the council first thing every Monday morning

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 18:08:21 »
 :)

I think you need to visit the plot a few times a week at least in the growing season
i don't belive death is the end

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 19:13:44 »
It didn't belong to Joe Swift did it?

Could this be his latest wild garden design destined for Chelse next year 8) ::)

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 19:21:06 »
After three years there really is no excuse either by him for leaving it like that or the council for not doing anything to resolve the problem.
Sadly it seems to be an all too common sight, and problem, on many sites including mine!
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 19:41:06 »
Yup, we have several plots like that.  It's tardy site management.  There's no excuse for plots to stand like that while allotments are so popular, and if there isn't anyone on the waiting list then the management should be advertising.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 19:51:45 »
After being at our allotment today I would say the we have at least 10 plots that look worse than the one in the photo. Some folks reckon that they have a meadow to attract  wildlife and that seems to be a cop out.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 20:09:26 »
Joe Swift's ex plot has been split into 3, and the lovely lady next to me that had to give up due to poor eye sight and age has been split, two plots are pefect, one is still overgrown and it is next to mine.  Thought mine was bad, the grass paths are getting bigger but some people are just having a laugh.  I do realise that the Council have to send eviction notices and it takes time.  I got my plot, then they said I couldn't have it, as the paper work had not been done, so I suppose it is a legal thing and unless you have reason can't just kick people off.  My lovely Nick, who has had the plot for years, he is over 80, I think, has had a operation of his leg/knee, but other people on the site have been doing a bit of work on it, would hate him to lose it.  It never was a problem in the past as not so many people wanted allotments and it was good for the bees/wild life to have a bit of a wilderness, but nowadays I think it is better to split plots into three and not let people have two or three plots, which they put in their partners/ relatives name and keep them all for themselves.  When mine gets too much for me and too overgrown I will give it up (with good grace, I hope).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal