Author Topic: Collecting foxglove seed  (Read 2428 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Collecting foxglove seed
« on: June 27, 2010, 17:08:48 »
I have read in a couple of places recently that now is the time to collect and sow foxglove seed for next year, but my foxgloves are still flowering. Is it possible to sow the seeds before they have ripened? Or is it that everything on the web is written by southerners who are ahead of me?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Collecting foxglove seed
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 17:10:46 »
I haven't seen any ripe enough seed pods....yet.. ::) But I did sow some..only last week..but those were out of packet..

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 21:16:13 »
Its just that the season is really far behind. Wait until they are ready then either so fresh now or wait til spring.

Ive never heard of sowing them green
good luck
x sunloving

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 21:55:24 »
yep, they are late. wait till they ripen and sow then - it might take an extra year for the rosette of leaves and roots to get big enough to support flowering (although I have sown as late as the end of July and still had good plants the following year).

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 22:36:16 »
I have a lot of foxgloves in my garden and I just let them sow themselves, If they are in the wrong place just transplant them to where you want them. I also have lots of small seedlings coming up, obviously germinated late. I will leave them until spring, I usually have enough to give away. Sometimes you get the odd one that is a different colour from the usual pinky purple. Just let nature take it course and you won't be disappointed. 
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 08:54:09 »
As it's a biennial, it doesn't matter if this year's seedlings are small and late. They'll catch up by next year.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 09:29:25 »
Thanks for the replies. I've got some huge foxgloves this year so should get plenty of seed- and hopeflly some self-seeders too. :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal