Author Topic: Can anyone advise me I have to buy a new laptop and no-one here to help me  (Read 9677 times)

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
Jeannie,

I found out from a friend that they have been using Mac. Whatever that is!!!
They say that they get on very well with this and it maybe another system to look into before making a final choice.
Windows 7 is the standard for most pc's now unless you get an older model or fit the xp to a new one from a second hand seller.
Again happy hunting.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
A MAC is an upmarket version of computer. It has certain advantages, mostly that it is more stable than Windows but I wonder if the cost is worth it. They certainly have fewer problems with virus. The cheaper way to go is with Ubuntu/Linux OS, very stable and free, the software is free too, but it does take some studying to use it. It can be installed on any IBM type PC. I am 81 and I managed it.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
have you got any further with ideas or choices yet Jeannine? And yes Marg - publisher only seems to be included in the full on version of Windows now (I used to use it lots), you can buy it separately, but obviously that gets pricey too!

Jeannine, one other thing to look out for is how big the keyboard is compared to the touchpad (the mouse bit), I've seen some where the keyboard seems particularly small. Just something extra to think about if fingers aren't so nimble!

The only other idea I've had is to have a look online, find a couple that you think you like (don't worry too much about the details) and post the makes and model numbers on here and we could have a collective positives and negatives review of them for you. Like gardening everyone has their preferences and there's not always a completely right or wrong answer!!

1066  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Hi, I am looking online as and when I can and I will post and ask, I also need to use a mouse,I can't be bothered with the touch pad thing.

Will be in touch

XXJeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
I know what you mean about the touchpads - I get RSI (if I'm not careful) and find the touchpads a real and literal pain!!

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
I use this mouse with my laptop, it is very comfortable, the USB connection is so unobtrusive too:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001ASA2KY/ref=oss_product

Best mouse I've ever had  :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
How about something like this? http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=en&section=1&group=1&product=9653&category=

Our last four notebooks have been Toshibas, and two of those from Toshiba Direct.  They're simple, reliable, tough enough to last our kids through college, and I'd recommend them highly.

I've got a Tecra, which is excellent, but my son uses a Satellite like the one in the link (but with XP when we bought it, not Windows 7), and it's been faultless.  It has a camera for Skype or whatever, WiFi built in, the works, really.

Everyone that I work with who uses Dell hates them.  The Sony Vaio is well regarded, but expensive.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Thank you again for the help.Asbean I actually have a wireless mouse, i have never used it and can't for the life of me  think why!!

Melbourne, that actually looks pretty good, I wonder if there is something t should have and doesn't, I see Office is just a trial and it doesn't have Publisher which I really wanted but i will look into this a bit further.

Taxes would put the price up as they are on top of the quoted price, we have  a BC provincial tax plus a Federal one and just this last month we have had third one tagged on, so it would be much higher. I always forget about that when shopping.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

greenfists

• Half Acre
As far as office goes we all use Open Office at home (5 of us). My daughters at University doing English and it hasn't held her back. My other 2 are at college and its all they use at home.
This is their site.
http://www.openoffice.org/
Many millions of people use it worldwide as well as an number of goverments.
Its totally free, updated every couple of months rather than every couple of years.
If you don't like it you can delete it. It cost you nothing.

If you haven't got green fingers then use your fists.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
I upgraded about 6 months ago. They've already had a mention, but Dell are excellent value for money just now. Mine is an Insipron 1564. It looks better than Dells used to, you get an i3 processor which is fairly good & Windows 7 64bit (which means it can actually use all it's memory). Fill it up with Open Office for free (already mentioned) instead of Microsoft Office, and AVG Anti virus (also free) and it's fairly hard to beat for the money.

tarmac4all

• Not So New ...
Hi Jeannine and all.. this is my first post on this forum.. good news is I've had 22 years in computer industry.. bad news is I know zilch about gardening!

Jeannine.. asking for laptop recommendations is a bit like "how long is a piece of string?" but I've read through and note lots of conflicting advice which at best will confuse you or at worst lead you down the wrong path. Hope that doesn't come across as harsh as it reads (to anyone), as believe me the last thing I'd want is to upset anyone! (as my reason for joing this forum today is to get some gardening tips!).

I've noted just a few of the things you said as what you need is far more important than what works for someone else.

Things like webcam, internet, wifi etc will almost certainly come as standard on any model that will be fit for your purpose. Other general software factors such as Open Office vs Microsoft are nearly always down to a mix of your budget and how much you like to be 'controlled' by the masses. What you don't need is a great big list of things that everyone else has got! 

The one thing you've said that stands out above all others (to me anyway) is:

"I do have some quilting sofware programmes which need to be able to go on"

You don't say anything about your current system (assuming you run the quilting software on it?). Assuming that particular software is windows-based it might be an idea to write down the version/product info (click on 'help' then 'about' when it's up and running).

Personally, my first move would be to contact that software provider for advice on minimum/compatible hardware and ask if there are any known restrictions on upgrading.

Rather than post lots of other stuff to confuse you I'll stick to just 3 bits of advice;

1. Be sure what you are buying can run the software you need it to (without having to encur additional expense).

2. Of all the hardware options, 'Memory' will almost certainly have the biggest impact on performance and so will be the single element which makes you happy (or not) with your purchase, hence when comparing products like for like (particularly new ones) ask how much an extra 1GB (for example) of memory would cost. 

3. Don't be afraid of buying something "second-user" (commonly used  I.T. term for 'used' or 'second hand' computer equipment). Think of the % cost savings just as you might with the used car market (I'd rather buy last years top of the range model  as it's been tried and tested).

Any potential supplier who can deliver on all 3 elements above is worth talking to.

I got the impression you don't have many options in your locality but a google search for coquitlam+laptop threw up quite a few?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Look at the link that Melboutne put on for a toshiba,if I put in mybasket it then offers me pages of extras..I haven't got a clue about them. I don't think I can do it.

Could someone look and tell ,me  what I don' t need and what be a good please

XX Jeannine

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
that's a mostly better specified netbook than I just bought.

you don't need any of the extras on that next page

the only issue you might have - is that it doesn't have a floppy disk drive (the extras page has one as an extra). Only a problem if you have lots of important stuff on floppy disks.
If you do - easier and cheaper option is use another PC with a floppy disk drive and copy them onto a USB stick

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
Looks very smart Jeannine  :)

Would folks advise her to get some extra memory - Memory Upgrades Part #  Price  -    2GB DDR2 800MHz Notebook Memory PA3669U-1M2G  $59.99 ? May be useful in the future if Jeannine wants to save photos etc I think I'd be inclined to do so, but maybe that's just me.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
I do have some pretty extensive plant files and they are growing(pardon the pun)

EG Squash, I have info on about 600 varieties with written data and a picture for almost every one, plus history of squash, diseases, suppliers etc

Sweetcorn much the same,and this one gets bigger all the time as I receive more data from plant breeders.

Tomatoes, mostly the data on what I have (about 500 types) but all with pictures

Beans,not as much as the above bit it is growing fast.

I am  working on a book  on growing corn and squash and that is well on.

Plus I have a lot of data on food preservation and a book half done on that subject too.

So far it seems to be OK but I have  the 2 in progress books  on the home pooter which makes it awkward.I would prefer to have them all together.

So maybe I do need extra somethings??

I am not really looking at  getting the cheapest, it is not the primary thing, but I don't want to waste money on stuff I wouldn't use.

I have a programme designed to help an author..forget it's name but I do use it when I am working on the two written works.

XX Jeannine

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
Jeannine it kind of depends how big these files (books and documents) of yours are, and how big they might get.
What do others think about if she bought a separate external hardrive to keep her work safe and separate? They are also very cheap! Sorry to add something else into this - but it's worth a thought. I have an external hardrive that I keep my photos on, so that my laptop doesn't get too cluttered etc

Just a thought?!

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
I was trying to post but my PC crashed (ha!). 320 Gb is quite a big hard drive. You would struggle to fill that up with pictures and text

but you could really do with some back up for everything. Think if you lost it all. I have everything backed up  3 times at least + the original

Easywriter

• Quarter Acre
Hi Jeannine - wow, you write books about this stuff? :o

I got a new laptop this year, a reconditioned Compaq, 4Gb RAM, not sure of the hard disc size. I agree with the other correspondents - a separate, external hard drive would definitely be a good idea - they're cheap, and they can act as backup drives. You wouldn't want to lose all that info you've spent 000's hours typing in would you?

And go for Windows 7 - forget the hype, I really do find it increases my productivity for the technical writing that I do.

P.S. I do proofreading (books) for Cambridge University Press . . . reasonable rates! 8)
The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

chicken girl

• Not So New ...
I have just had to buy a new lap top and my daughter had an acer and as I was on a budget i have gone for an acer as well I am really pleased with it,hope this helps
  Jan  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Thank you all again, you have all contributed to taking some of the mystery out of it for me, I now have a little book popped in my purse for asking questions if I pluck up the courage to go shopping. Or on line too, but I ain't buying anything till my "team" have approved it ;D

Easywriter, that explains your name !!

I could sure use a proof reader, you have all seen my wonderful typing...not

Still I am along way off that yet.

No, I don't write books, that implies I have finished one  :D Writing would be more accurate.

Of course if I add in the short stories I used to write going though  nursing  school
to help pay  private daycare for the kids..ah well now that is different. however when I tell you that they were published in magazines like Peoples Friend, Woman's Weekly etc you will understand why I would not want to boast ::) Got me though school though!! No laptop then.

XX Jeannine

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal