Author Topic: Can anyone advise me I have to buy a new laptop and no-one here to help me  (Read 9638 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Allowing for the fact that I am in Canada and you are all in the UK,,is it possible to help me choose. I have no clue what I am doing and John is no longer able to help.

I think many of them are both sides of the pond.

I just have to get one and am completely lost !!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
ok a few things 1st
how much do you have to spend?
And what do you want to use it for? - playing on the internet, downloading films and music?  Looking at photos? Writing letters? Keeping accounts? These things can make quite a difference.

recently I've advised my MIL and a friend to start by looking at the John Lewis website (never knowingly undersold!) to get ideas - but I also pointed them in certain directions because I knew their budgets. FYI they both chose Toshibas (very robust. good warrantees, good company, and price wise very reasonable, and will last them quite some years to come)

Then when you think you have an idea as to what you like, you would need to consider what software comes with the laptop - it seems many are sold with half versions of proper software. But depending on what you are wanting that might be ok? As you know there are lots of us on here to help!

1066  :)

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
Don't get cought up with all the hype. If you want it just for writing, internet and other basic stuff then the cheapest one will be enough. Dell outlet sometimes do some good offers.

I would go for minimum of :
cd/dvd  writer (backing up all you seed lists ;D)
2gb ram
120gb hard drive
wifi (wireless)
14" screen

I use a Dell  Inspiron 1545
Dell Canada  http://www1.dell.com/ca/p/laptops?~ck=mn&scat=notebooks&s_tnt=23689:1:0,
something like this would be ideal, i think the mini's would be to small for you. http://www1.dell.com/ca/p/inspiron-15r/pd

Neil
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 10:12:24 by nilly71 »

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
when my parents wanted a laptop, I told them to go to Staples, the office supplier. Very simple to choose because they just had a small range. Simple to pick one that matched their needs. PC World's etc have just too big a selection, and you could end up with something that's just to over-specified (and too expensive)
I thought the one they ended up with was really good value

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
We don't have those shops here, I would probably buy one on line if I can get an idea of a suggested one.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
I meant find a similar shop that carry a small range. Like Tesco's here sell a few laptops/PCs. They wont set the world on fire with their specs, but they wont be rubbish either. Pretty much any basic computer will do more than you need, except if you need good graphics for games.

Your problem isn't you might buy a laptop that doesn't do what you want, but that you buy one that does more than you want (and pay extra for it)

perhaps if you post exactly what you would want to use it for, peeps could advise what you do and don't need it to have

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Neil, thank you, I need a cam thingy so I can see my grandaughter in Holland talking to me

Mostly used for internet use, buying online. files, geneology, veggie database etc, I do have some quilting sofware programmes which need to be able to go on.

I had  office and I think the other one I really liked  was one for doing newsletters,forget it's name, Publisher?? I lost a  lot of school  installed extra sofware, it pretty did everything but I didn't use it all  but lost most of it when I had the hard drive changed on this one.Needs to be wireless of course and not  heavy.

This the third one I have had, best was the first which was a Toshiba.

Good sound.

I can't see me getting the use from one full of bells and whistles .

I have never downloaded music or movies  but I guess I might.

We have Future shop here.Costco, similar to macro has a large range.

What is a notebook?

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
I can't help with technical stuff cos I've not got much of a clue but if this is any help-
I bought my last 2 laptops from the internet both have been Acer, very happy with both. I tend to go and have a look at review sites and when something takes my fancy put in a search for more info on that model and have a look at feedback from users, I usually end up with a short list and just do a compare. When I've decided on make and model I have another search for price. My last one came from a shop through amazon.

Screen size, battery usage, weight, what does it have pre loaded onto it, speed, I'm sure you have thought of lots more. I bought one which ticked the most boxes for me and will I hope last me for several years.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
I use Acer too. I have both laptop and a desktop X3810 (space saver), both work well. Look at the specifications, get as good a spec. as you can for what you can afford. You shouldn't need to pay more than the equivalent of £400. If you are limited in finance then see what PC World have in refurbished laptops. Staples often do demo models cheap (my x3810 was one, £235 without the monitor).
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
Notebook and laptop are basicly the same thing.
A  Netbook/mini is a lot smaller/lighter and designed to be used while traveling. The keyboard is smaller and for many people harder to use.

Cosco should do laptops, just look for one that suites your needs. Open office can be used for general office needs, it's not as advanced as Microsoft office (most people don't use it to it's full use) so Open Office should do you and it open MO documents and it's free.

Web cams are sometimes built in but i think a seperate one is better as you can upgrade to better quality. Some digital cameras/camcorders can be used as a web cams also.

Neil

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
jeannine we seem to want the same things from a computer. I too want publisher because I did a course in word ,excell and publisher and found it very usefull. looking through the office packages tho it seems publisher is only on the professional which is the larger package. have I got this wrong? I would also want a card reader.
help I feel like a tadpole in a muddy puddle
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
I was looking at Acer in Costco just a few days ago but read somewhere they are different to most laptops,I can't be doing with anything that is  very different to what I am used to, this Vista is awful. My previous one had XP Pro and I got used to that one quite easily.

I guess I will have a cruise around and see what software I need.Problem is , the shop clerk can see me coming as I have no idea what I want and it makes me very vunerable.

Thank you so far, I realise it is hard to advise me when I am not in the UK.

XX Jeannine

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
you will run into problems with your software anyway Jeannine whatever you do  i'm afraid
i didn't like Windows 7 (which is what you'll get) at all (didn't even try loading Office type software). Got rip of it

WinXP was too old to run on the laptop

so I used Ubuntu, which I use on my PC anyway. You can get completely free software for most needs, but it is a different operating system

but some webcams don't work with Ubuntu/Linux.....etc
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 12:06:31 by Bugloss2009 »

lewic

• Hectare
Agree with the advice not to get Vista. It is very slow and very un-user friendly. Most laptops will come with Windows 7 now, which is a lot better, however there are some unscrupulous places trying to offload their old Vista stock, which may not take Windows 7. Both are less user friendly than XP, unfortunately.

Toshiba are good, especially the Tecras, which have splashproof keyboards and are quite robust. HP/Compaq are OK but have been told the parts are often specific to HP so will be more expensive to upgrade.

I have a Samsung NC10 netbook with XP Home on it, am very happy with it for what I use it for - surfing the net and catch-up TV. They are easily upgraded to 2GB RAM (there is a hatch in the base), is light, and its got v good battery life. Wouldnt want to type on it all day though, although you could plug a monitor, mouse and keyboard into it easily.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
One thing- make sure whatever you're thinking of buying can be easily repaired locally.
Our grandson-the computer expert- recommended Toshiba but in our area there is no repair shop so, to his disappointment, I have a Dell Inspiron with Windows 7. So far so good but still adjusting to it after having a Mac. It has a numbers pad on the right which hubby thinks is wonderful to use.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
Jeannie,

I think what you need is for someone who has the knowledge and understanding of this new age to come to the rescue.

I am far from that but will help if I can.

Try this web link to see if any of these catch your eye in a price range of your choosing.

http://www.shopbot.ca/laptops/portable-devices/canada/115

And yes before anyone shouts it is in Canadian dollars.
Good luck with your new venture.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
I have a Dell and I am quite pleased with it.  Did like my Sony that I had before.  If I forget to plug in and it runs out of juice the Dell simply shuts down but the Sony used to warn me first.

Biggest problem is that they seem to have their help lines in India and the people there seem to talk a rather strange version of English which I find very hard to understand so if you have a problem it is not always easy to get it sorted.  They do not seem to know that they are not in fact speeching English.   Though Dell have an online help system which is not too bad.  The operators are helping several people at the same time so a bit frustrating if you are a good typist.  They sent me a very power lead without a problem when it failed.  Though at first kept on telling me that I had a different problem.  Since borrowing the powerlead from my daughter solved the problem I was pretty sure what I knew what was going on.

I would pretend you have a problem and ring the help line of any company whose computer you think you might buy.  If you do not get through in five or ten minutes try a different option, particularly if you are being held on a premium line.  Most answer their sales lines very quickly indeed.

If you take lots of photos then a good size memory is a good idea.  

If you want to play a lot of games with amazing graphics you need something more powerful but I certainly do not tax my laptop unduly.

I think that you need to be a bit more confident about what you want. Make a list of the things you do with your computer and maybe things you would like it to do better.    Go and have a play on some of the computers in the stores.  If a shop assistant makes me feel uncomfortable I think it is time to try a different store.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Thank you all. The only thing I know for sure is not Vista..I have that now..it is awful.

One of the problems is that I really don't know what the programmes do, so am not in a position to choose blindly.

I am more comfortable looking on line and if I can ask questions here I can try that.

Good idea about pretending a problem, I never would have though about that.

I have Norton on the systems here , had that installed at the same time I had the had drive changed. My laptop keeps changing things, and I don't know if it is the laptop being faulty, Vista, or Norton .We paid for 2 years with Norton too, it seems to be fine on John's pooter

Thank you for the link Landimad, I will check that out.

In fact thank you all for your suggestions, they are all very helpful. This is as bad as buying a car..I hate that too!!

XX Jeannine

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
I use Acer too. I have both laptop and a desktop X3810 (space saver), both work well. Look at the specifications, get as good a spec. as you can for what you can afford. You shouldn't need to pay more than the equivalent of £400. If you are limited in finance then see what PC World have in refurbished laptops. Staples often do demo models cheap (my x3810 was one, £235 without the monitor).

I went to Tesco's yesterday, they had the X3810, would you believe? £350 plus the monitor if you wanted one.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Sadly we don't have Tescos  here XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal