Author Topic: Help - my little red acer is dying!  (Read 1999 times)

carosanto

• Half Acre
Help - my little red acer is dying!
« on: June 20, 2010, 10:33:07 »
Hi: I have a pair of red acers both in the same size pots, both bought at the same time.  They occupy an area of the decking which gets a lot of shade in the afternoons, and are both well watered.  One of them is dying though.  Its leaves are shrivelling, its branches have become sparse.  It now has only a few unaffected bits of foliage. On he other hand,  its twin is thriving, with thick and beautiful foliage.  I have honestly treated them both the same, and shown no favouritism.

I tried moving it to an even shadier spot, to no avail.  It was such a beautiful little tree and is now a shadow of its former self.  Can I do anything at all to save it?

Regards, Caro
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Help - my little red acer is dying!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 10:41:33 »
Oh..acers are 'funny' things, they either thrive or not..and by moving it you probably made things worst..they don't like that neiher.. ::)
I had same situation..they were only about 2 metres apart..other one did get bit more light than other..the one with more sun sulked all the time and I moved the pot for a "better" position and it truly got upset about it..
So now I'm left with only one..
What you can do though..is..check there is no sign of vineweevil grubs in soil...those could course branch die back..if there is..threat the soil and maybe change top 2" or so to give a boost for the tree for the new growth.
Other than that..you can only hope best...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 10:43:48 by goodlife »

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 10:42:22 »
did you repot them? Repotting deeper than the original level is a sure way to kill them, i've done it

skintnbitter

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 12:12:12 »
I live in Leeds and I am having the same problem with mine.

I have not repotted it, moved it, etc.

I am wondering could it have anything to do with the extream weather we have had for the time of the year??

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 18:50:51 »
Ours was always looking sparce and spindliy until i moved it into a less exposed place under the hawthorn. So could it be a breeze effecting the poorely one?
x sunloving

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 17:13:33 »
If you are not overwtering, check well down the pot, I should think it needs a shaier position and a while to recover. I think they ideally need dappled shade. Oh and someone hasnt watered the leaves in full sun causing them to scorch by any chance?

carosanto

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 03:02:11 »
Hi: Thanks for all your help.  I have aken on boad about the repotting, and I was intending to do so but won't now.  IPT8, whilst I was away my OH kindly watered, in a heatwave, and I have a little suspicion that the leaves may have got a dousing too.  Anyway, it only got moved after its troubles started, so I don't think its that. It is now in a position where it gets shade for most of the day, and although it looks really poorly I'll keep it another season and give it some tlc.

Thank you all.

Regards. Caro
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal