Author Topic: A few questions...  (Read 1088 times)

Tatty

• Not So New ...
A few questions...
« on: June 22, 2010, 21:45:59 »
Hi, I have a few more questions - I hope next year to be answering questions but till then so much to learn!

1, Some of my squashes stems are splitting - they now look a bit wilted. Will they be ok or should I pull them? Why did it happen?

2, what should I use to 'feed' psb, cabbage, cauli? Think they could do with something?

Is it to late to sow beetroot?

Thank you!

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
Re: A few questions...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 22:31:36 »
Plants that your going to eat the leaves of - cabbage, kale, lettuce need a 'folial feed' ie something high in nitrogen. I feed my leaf veg with seaweed extract,  once at the start and once at the end, and twice with Growmore in between.

not too late to sow Beetroot, ive just started some more, should be able to pull it September. You should be able to get some turnips in as well :D
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 22:33:10 by lincsyokel2 »
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 22:58:07 »
<< 1, Some of my squashes stems are splitting - they now look a bit wilted. Will they be ok or should I pull them? Why did it happen? >>

Well, I sowed mine too early, and they got very leggy, and when I planted them out (too early) the long stems twisted and split open.

Is that what you mean?

The good news is that they seem to have sealed over the split and  started to grow quite vigorously. They have such a will to live that it could be worth planting them out and watering them.

Tatty

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 23:12:15 »
Thank you for replies - I will get some grow more think I have seen it in the shops - yes that is what I mean with the squashes - hopefully they will be ok!

Isleworth

• Half Acre
    • http://plot31a.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 23:16:18 »
Thank you for replies - I will get some grow more think I have seen it in the shops - yes that is what I mean with the squashes - hopefully they will be ok!

If you have any Pound shops locally, they have boxes of Grow more etc.. for as you guessed it £1 ;)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 23:38:29 »
You can carefully make a hole in the soil under the split, it may root and make the plant stronger, or carefully bandage it with a foil or saran wrap to keep the bugs out till it gets stronger, then you can remove the bandage. It depends on the size of the stem which is best. Even damp kitchen roll wrapped round , it will root through the paper if it is touching the ground and the paper will protect it.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal