Author Topic: Is my sweetcorn okay?  (Read 1492 times)

mpdjulie

• Acre
Is my sweetcorn okay?
« on: June 21, 2010, 19:57:33 »
Can anyone tell me whether my sweet corn is okay?  I asked someone on the site what they thought the flower bud like protrusion was sticking out of the top of the leaves and they said it was the tassels but that only grows there when they are at full height.  Is that correct?  They are only 8 – 12 inches tall.  The variety is sweet nugget.
Julie

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Is my sweetcorn okay?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 20:09:01 »
Normally I would expect this when they were a bit taller but there is nothing to say that cobs won't come from the leaf axils that are there.

Give them time and see what happens!

You don't give any sowing/planting times so this might have a bearing on the size, plus you don't say if it is just one plant that is affected or many.

My opinion; treat them in the manner you would normally treat your plants, who knows the might shoot up over the next few weeks!

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 20:09:51 »
Mine are very simular apart from two more branches coming from the base and the name of them are Swift.

Neil

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 20:20:54 »
Julie

They're absolutely fine.  Better than fine in fact.  They're strong, healthy plants, and they're very well on.  You'll find they'll grow tall all of a sudden and the male flowers that you can see will grow clear of the leaves.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 20:27:15 by Unwashed »
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 20:26:25 »
Wish mine looked that good.

When did you plant them?

amphibian

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 22:21:47 »
Look far better than mine, which are very small still.

I held of for fear of frost, many other plot holders took the risk and it paid off, their whole plots are miles ahead of mine.

javahart

• Quarter Acre
    • My veg blog
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 22:29:18 »
Wish mine looked that good.

When did you plant them?

Ditto for me.  Mine look kak in comparison but I did plant out just before the last frost which wasn't too smart.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 22:35:41 »
I got very worried last year because the tassel started to show but there was no sign of the females.   But they soon started developing. 

On one allotment someone had wonderful sweetcorn cobs on some quite small plants.  It did not seem to affect the size of the cobs at all. 

Nice looking plants you should be proud of them.

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 08:08:26 »
Normally I would expect this when they were a bit taller but there is nothing to say that cobs won't come from the leaf axils that are there.

Give them time and see what happens!

You don't give any sowing/planting times so this might have a bearing on the size, plus you don't say if it is just one plant that is affected or many.

My opinion; treat them in the manner you would normally treat your plants, who knows the might shoot up over the next few weeks!
The ones that are taller all have this growth but the smaller don't yet.  They were sown in a greenhouse the 28th March and planted out at the end of May.  They did catch the frost but I managed to get some fleece over them so the damage was minimal and hasn't affected them at all.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 15:41:27 »
They did catch the frost

This may have 'checked' them and knocked its growing pattern out of sync (ohysiological disorder) I still think they will produce healthy cobs!

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 22:27:00 »
The Runt of the litter
These were all planted at the same time about 6"high but one suffered from the frost worse. I thought it had died as it was about 2" high but has now just started to develope and about 5" high.

All the rest have 3 or 4 stems

Neil
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 22:35:44 by nilly71 »

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 22:37:18 »
Mine all look like your runt....... :-[

And they went so well last year......

There will be a greenhouse next year if it kills me and a proper cold frame.

Although for obvious reasons I won't be using it if it does kill me   ;)
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal