Author Topic: Growing tomatoes inside for winter..anyone else going for it.  (Read 9656 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
I am going to try tomatoes inside through the winter, is anyone else going to try it.

Sunny windowsill, heated greenhouse, under lights , there are many ideas.

I am going for minature plants under lights  and windowsills.

Never done this? ..  We  can all learn together .

Just a bit of fun and a  personal challenge to get through the grey days.

We could swap ideas for types, containers, feeding etc.

Perhaps agree to start about the same time.

No contest here, just to support each other.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Growing tomatoes inside for winter..anyone else going for it.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 09:43:26 »
I'm very much hoping to have a go using lights. Yayyyyy something to cheer me up during those long winter months  ;D

I've got a few different varieties of toms I think might be suitable, although I'm still getting in a knot deciding what lights to get and how and where I put them ::)

I've spotted some containers I may use, I'll post a link later.

Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 12:46:05 »
Am very tempted by this challenge  ;D ! Treated myself to a Grow Light garden this year and have been very impressed with the results its given me for this seasons seedlings. Would definitely have to be a dwarf variety, and haven't got anything suitable at the moment so will have to look into this.

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 13:47:15 »
I've tried MicroToms for 2 winters now and the results have been rubbish!  I managed to keep the 2nd lot alive through the last harsh winter (so I am learning) but they have only just given me 2 tiny toms from 6 bushes (actually they are so small they don't qualify as bushes).

They just stopped growing from about November and only started again in May, so I guess its the low light levels here (Wharfedale, Yorkshire).  I would have to invest in a light thingy and I am wondering if its really worth it? The cost of one could buy a lot of tomatoes! I know the cost is not everything but there comes a point (even for me) where you expend so much time/energy/electric on them that its getting a bit bonkers?
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 13:50:05 »
I have a few seeds spare that might be the type you have in mind plot51A,  if you would like some to try. What is the maximum height you will be aiming for?

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 17:36:18 »
I have a few seeds spare that might be the type you have in mind plot51A,  if you would like some to try. What is the maximum height you will be aiming for?

Thanks very much JayB. About 12" maximum I think. Have done a bit of a browse and rather fancy trying Red Robin. The Organic gardening catalogue says they tolerate low light levels and are good for winter growing. When would we be sowing - presumably not for a while yet?

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 17:46:14 »
I'll join in.  ;D

I start the chillies etc under lights anyway; I need to refine my set up, so this project will (hopefully) motivate me. 

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 21:27:12 »
Plot51, I'm glad you fancy trying some Red Robin  ;D, I'll pm tomorrow.
As for when to sow, I was thinking of starting some time in August, but will probably try and stagger a few sowings so they don't all ripen together. I may be wrong, but I'm sure Jeannine will keep us on track.

I'm growing some Red Robin at the mo, which are just starting to ripen, I'll have to check but I think they were sown in Jan. They are the first of my mini's sown at that time to be ripening. Hope thy taste ok  ;D

Yayyyy Sholls, has to be tried, any ideas what you fancy growing? When will you be starting your chillies?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 21:44:23 »
Hi all, what a super response..so following on and presuming some of us don't know which  types are suitable..take a look at

http://tatianastomatobase.com

read the database about dwarfs/containers and then take a look at her tomatoes for sale, again at dwarfs/ conatiners, you may already have some suitable seeds.

By the way I can vouch for tatiana, she in Internationally known, is very good on price and postage , extremely quick to mail,and is also as super lady. I met her this year when I  moved back to this part of Canada as she lives 10  minutes from me.I feel sure others would back me up.

The site gives loads on info and there is time to get seeds from her if need be.

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 21:50:00 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 22:04:29 »
Hey Jayb, you know much more about toms than I do  ;D  Iam a squash grower don't forget!!

I think we should all put our heads together and figure out a good time to start, I agree with August. The type of toms we will be growing will all be determinate(bush)ones which the are the types that will all fruit at the same time so we might want to consider staggering sowing dates times OR growing a selection of varieties that mature at different times.

Spread  as well as height be important if growing under lights, so I think avoiding such as Tumbler, Whippersnapper, Anmore Treasures might be sensible, they only grow up to 18ins or so but are very bushy, they may however be OK for someone where width doesn't matter, ot would to me I think under my lights set up.

Types with rugosa leaves might be a good idea as they are strong and self support well, Patio is a common one that springs to mind.

To newbies out there, jump right in, if this sounds like Greek to you, don't hesitate asking. Don't be left out cos you think you don't know enough,this is a learning thing for many of us.

Take a look at the link above,  maybe some of us  will  be able to share some seeds if we see what we  all have.

XX Jeannine

amphibian

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 22:12:42 »
Hi all, what a super response..so following on and presuming some of us don't know which  types are suitable..take a look at

http://tatianastomatobase.com

read the database about dwarfs/containers and then take a look at her tomatoes for sale, again at dwarfs/ conatiners, you may already have some suitable seeds.

By the way I can vouch for tatiana, she in Internationally known, is very good on price and postage , extremely quick to mail,and is also as super lady. I met her this year when I  moved back to this part of Canada as she lives 10  minutes from me.I feel sure others would back me up.

The site gives loads on info and there is time to get seeds from her if need be.

XX Jeannine

I can vouch for Tatiana, she's very well respected in the tomato world.

amphibian

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 22:15:13 »
I'd love to partake in this project, however right now it's impossible for me. The major downside of my house isit's windows face due east and west, there is no sunny windowledge in the entire house.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 22:22:29 »
Put pot on East and move to West later in the day,follow the sun :D

ALL my windows  face North so no place to move to..

XX Jeannine

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 23:05:08 »
Hey Jayb, you know much more about toms than I do   ;D
XX Jeannine

I very much doubt that  ;D , I'm just happy to love toms in all forms  ;D

amphibian

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 23:12:00 »
Put pot on East and move to West later in the day,follow the sun :D

ALL my windows  face North so no place to move to..

XX Jeannine

No-one is at home at the crucial point and alas it would still result in very little exposure as the sun spends about 90% of the day casting no direct light into my house. In winter it casts no light into my west windows because of the houses across the road and the hill behind them.

Lights might work to supplement daylight, but I am concerned about the cost. I tried to overwinter a tomato plant by re-rooting suckers concurrently, but it failed because my house is too cold.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 23:16:52 »
Mmm, anyone got ideas for amphibian. The lights I use are very low in terms of electricity.

XX Jeannine

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 12:05:53 »
I might have sounded negative in a previous post but I would love to have toms through the winter. Just that I expended so much time/money so far to little success.

Anyway, do you think its really possible without lights?

Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 00:10:59 »
Yes, I have done it without any additional light, best was  in a big bay window facing South.

I did it last year and used a regular light, they stretched a bit but I did get fruit from Patios and a couple more.

Just a bit of fun.

This year I have got seeds specially for the purpose, some do well in lower than usual  light.

XX Jeannine

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 06:56:13 »
How are folks doing with their choices,, do you need help to decide. I can give a list of maybes and Jayb has some great ideas too.

We need to decide what height of plant,size of pot needed for that plant, extimated time to maturity might help..air movement for pollination.. anything I have forgotten anyone.

Oh yes dates to go... or staggered.

XX Jeannine

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 07:25:07 »
Yes please Jeannine a list would be useful. I think I've got totem & minibel, will check.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal