Author Topic: chicken help  (Read 2237 times)

astraman1

• Quarter Acre
chicken help
« on: June 20, 2010, 14:31:20 »
hi im new to chicken keeping 1 week into it actually

i have 3 hybrid hens  (pol) the problem i have is when i got them they had a few fights. i left them to it but kpt an eye on them so they could sort out there pecking order

and it settled down but now one will hardly leave the coop she comes out first thing to get a bit of food and some drink then runs back in dodging the (top dog) hen and wont come out again unless i force her to.

shes not broody as she runs as soon as i open up shes fine just gets bullied none of them are laying yet but the one that gets bullied i think she is a few weeks behind the rest as she is abit smaller and her wattle and comb are alot smaller

what can i do about it when she does come out she is scared and get chased back in by the top hen but i cant have her sat inside all day

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: chicken help
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 14:46:40 »
I think it takes a few weeks for them to sort themselves out. Those with more experience will be along later. I'm 3 months in & loving it but my 4 are mother & 3 daughters so they were already sorted. The fun will start when I get some more ;D.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 14:56:20 »
Hi there..yep..Janny there is right..you just let them sort themselves out..but what you can do until then, is to provide the hiding one some alternative feeding inside..otherwise she will grow up very slowly and be the 'under dog' forever.. ::)
Even if it just small bowl of water raised on few bricks and bit of food it will help..at least she has better chance to get some nourishment down..she will learn to sneak behind others back.. ;) ;D
Have fun...

astraman1

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 15:28:05 »
ive built an extra run onto the existing one so i chuck some food in one bit and lock the other two out while she eats but she even runs in when they pace up and down the wire trying to get in

ive just bought a seperate feeder for her

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 15:40:04 »
Ok..so you are sorted then.. ;D Once she catches up with the size, all should be back to normal...latest..It probably only takes week or two more and they will have settled down for the pecking order.. ;)

astraman1

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 16:00:37 »
thanks for the help

now its just a waiting game for the eggs  ;D

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 16:16:28 »
Well worth the wait ;).

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal