Author Topic: Brussel sprouts  (Read 1024 times)

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
Brussel sprouts
« on: June 20, 2010, 18:51:55 »
I want some brussel sprouts and I'm wondering if its too late to sow them. If its not what late variety should I sow?

muddylou

• Half Acre
Re: Brussel sprouts
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 21:56:46 »
Homebase are selling seedlings (around 8 plants for £1.99), I bought some last week as I killed off my Brussels by overfeeding. I've since read I shouldn't be feeding them anyway.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 22:48:35 »
Code: [Select]
I've since read I shouldn't be feeding them anyway
Hmm...all 'leafy' brassicas are heavy feeders..they don't need quantity at the time but reqular feeding every few weeks/ once a month will help to get plants into good growth..If you think how long brussels are in a ground and how much they have to put growth on before reaching the cropping size..without feeding you will not get much of a crop off of them.
But they are easy to feed..something like good handfull of chicken manure pellets or any other manure based fertilizer or growmore once a month during growing season is plenty.
But during winter they don't really grow anymore so feed is wasted and will only be washed away by heavy rain...
It is starting to be a bit late for brussels..but if we don't get early winter weather you could still get some crop..King's seeds have variety called Early Half Tall..quick growing with drawf habit..so you are in chance to get some..maybe.. ???

muddylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 23:39:15 »
^ That's pretty much what I thought, the article I read said that feeding encourages lots of leaf growth and bushy/open sprouts. I suffered from blown sprouts last year so thought perhaps there was something in this. I'm really confused now.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 23:45:30 »
I think you have to heel them in otherwise you get blown sprouts, like I did.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 00:12:53 »
Too much feeding leads to blown sprouts just like wind rock can do.  I don't see anything wrong with feeding whilst they get established though.  Mine will get some nettle gloup in the next day or so - it will be second lot they have had but the first lot prompted a deluge from above.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal