Author Topic: another greenhouse question  (Read 3131 times)

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
another greenhouse question
« on: June 17, 2010, 23:21:21 »
have just put up our new greenhouse to house the grape vine we bought in the spring.  I know that I have to train a stem to create a rod, which I am doing, and am now awaiting the side spurs to develop.  It's in a pot at the moment.  Woud I be able to plant it into the soil in the greenhouse now, so that I can start training it onto the wires, when there's something to actually tie on, or should I leave it in the pot over the summer and put it in the ground in the autumn?  Any advice would be very welcome.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: another greenhouse question
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 23:35:47 »
Some folks plant the root outside and bring the growth in through a hole in the glass, don't plant it till you here from someone who an explain this better than I can .

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 23:43:18 »
I've read about that, but I don't think we can do it that way- the greenhouse is alluminium with polycarbonate "windows", so no way of getting it through from the outside.

OberonUK

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 09:17:13 »
I managed to create a gap between the footings and the frame so that I coudl feed the root ball underneath - I don't have a solid concrete trough all around my greenhouse though - just islands for anchoring at the corners and base of each upright. But this means that between each concrete island there is enough original soil to open up the hole under the framework. So my vine has its roots outside and the main plant inside. I had to plant the vine at a bit of an angle to achieve this but it is now growing upright and fine. But it's only my first year so don't be fooled if I sound like I have any idea what I am doing!

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 20:24:46 »
I've read about that, but I don't think we can do it that way- the greenhouse is alluminium with polycarbonate "windows", so no way of getting it through from the outside.
[/quote

Plant it outside at the north end of the GH and replace a sheet of pollycarb with plywood with a hole in and train it through it.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 20:42:12 »
Have you made sure you don't need planning permission for your greenhouse ?

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 20:58:44 »
it'll benefit from having it's roots outside. you can cut the polycarbonate around the stem, or replace the bottom part of the window with exterior grade plywood.
You couldn't make it up!

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 21:31:35 »
Have you made sure you don't need planning permission for your greenhouse ?

I checked up on the regs and it seems OK- it's very small- only 6x4ft, so doesn't take up more than its allotted space in the garden.

I'll show all your replies to OH and see if we can do something about getting the roots outside- I hadn't thought of planting it at an angle- we maybe could do that as we do have soil outside of the greenhouse in one area (where the compost bin was).  I also hadn't thought of the hardboard idea- he may not be too keen about that one as it took ages to get the panels in!
Thanks for all your help everyone!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 21:36:43 by gwynnethmary »

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 22:03:23 »
Phew good to hear I just had my planning application rejected so got to do it again an wait another 3 wks for them to check it then 8 weeks to approve/reject ;(

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 23:28:23 »
Crickey how big is your greenhouse?  Didn't think you needed either planning applic or building regs for a non permanent structure.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 08:41:55 »
I also hadn't thought of the hardboard idea- he may not be too keen about that one as it took ages to get the panels in!

In that case don,t take it out, glue the plywood to the polycarb and then screw them together with flat headed self tappers, drill out a circle where you want the vine to grow through
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal